Member Array
    Car:
    X

"Wrapping" Stock Jazz header

Last edited by claymore; 04-06-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: posted in parallel universe

Member Array
    Car:
    Enzo
    feel any different with the car?
    "It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow."

Member Array
    Car:
    Ohthatsit
    my only concern is, i heard stories that using heat wraps have higher chance of getting rust on the header.

is this true? did u ever get rust on your headers after using wraps?
    GD3 -> EP3 -> RB3

FS Rays nuts etc

Header Warp

I used the wrap in previous car, but found out that it makes the header so hot that it even crack.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by kimo
    I used the wrap in previous car, but found out that it makes the header so hot that it even crack.
    same here. i used the same brand Thermo-Tec "white" header wrap couple of years back, wrapped it around an aftermarket stainless steel header on my Civic and after about 2 months the header had a little crack around the welds. Removed the wrap and took the header for warranty replacement (of coz i did not tell them i wrapped it ).

I think it's worth only in high output car, as for Jazz it's usless unless you got the stuff free.

Put wrap on the Geni headers on my Suzuki GTi years ago and the headers corroded badly within 2 years and had to be replaced once they developed holes. Didn't make a big performance difference.

I used the spray after the thermal wrap. Don't know if that made it worse. Also the Geni headers had a coating on them that may have reacted badly to the wrap.

They smoked really badly straight after being installed (looked like the engine was on fire).

I wouldn't ever do it again.

I understand the wrap makes a bigger difference with headers located on the side of the engine rather than the front like the Jazz and Suzi.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 Civic VTi
    i think these thermal wraps are kinda "old-school" already nowadays, and might not be as efficient as ceramic coatings. but then, i guess ceramic coatings would cost an arm and a leg compared to the wraps...

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    Heatwrap trapps the heat in the header but the headers metal is then subjected to higher temperatures - thats why wrapped headers wear and crack quicker.
    It does reduce engine bay heat though. Its a trade off.
    Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent..... 14% of people know that.

"Ah, my beloved, fill the cup that clears today of past regrets and future fears”
    Omar Khayyam

Talking

Yes it' usless for our car and I have done it in my Starlet few years ago and the header crack, and had to weld the crack and throw the wrap, and I felt no gain at all. I don't say that wrap is waste of money. Btw if you read other people post you will find it crack many people header. Btw I spend only $10 in my CAT mod, and gained more than the wrap header of yours

Quote Originally Posted by claymore
    Hey, Kimo tell us how you come to your conclusion that wrapping is usless. Is it from all your vast drag racing experience? If you had read the post you would see that I predidcted only small gains and for $30 that is virtally free. Tell us about all the modifications you have made to your ride that would gain you one tenth for $30. If you have any I will run out and get them tommorow. How about some posts and pictures of modifications you have made to your car.