Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    rope methos is when you take out your spark plugs and turn your engine to BDC, put rope down the bore, about 1 meter and gently turn your crank till your piston pushes the rope up against the head holding the valves in place.

ideal is to have 1/4 to half a bore full of rope, when you undo the spring retainer, grab tghe valve and make sure it wont move down into the block ( just to be sure )

thats it.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN
    rope methos is when you take out your spark plugs and turn your engine to BDC, put rope down the bore, about 1 meter and gently turn your crank till your piston pushes the rope up against the head holding the valves in place.

ideal is to have 1/4 to half a bore full of rope, when you undo the spring retainer, grab tghe valve and make sure it wont move down into the block ( just to be sure )

thats it.
    Thats very interesting. Thanks for that. Simple yet effective.
    Deano.

it is also a good method for locking the crank to remove the crank pulley bolt or the flywheel bolts.

i use it all the time, but others suggest it might damage internals (never has for me)
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell
    it is also a good method for locking the crank to remove the crank pulley bolt or the flywheel bolts.

i use it all the time, but others suggest it might damage internals (never has for me)
    How does this rope trick stop the crank from moving? Not too sure on what you mean
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    How does this rope trick stop the crank from moving? Not too sure on what you mean
    The piston will be forced against the rope which is against the head, hence the crank will be fixed enableing you to undo the bolts.

Probably best done on the compression stroke?
    Deano.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah of course lol

+rep for you!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    Oh yeah of course lol

+rep for you!
    Aww thanks man.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    JZX100 S2 Chaser, DC4, S5
    Hahah,

DLOO1 gets a belly scratch, but yeah, great posts guys, very informative!

Quote Originally Posted by DLO01
    The piston will be forced against the rope which is against the head, hence the crank will be fixed enableing you to undo the bolts.

Probably best done on the compression stroke?
    so can i just clarify this

the rope will be pushed up onto the head by the piston and hence the crank wont turn anymore on the compression stroke...

thefore if i keep turning the crank bolt (anti-clockwise) it should snap the crankbolt off?

will the cause any damage to the valves/head at all?

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_antoi
    so can i just clarify this

the rope will be pushed up onto the head by the piston and hence the crank wont turn anymore on the compression stroke...

thefore if i keep turning the crank bolt (anti-clockwise) it should snap the crankbolt off?

will the cause any damage to the valves/head at all?
    Snap the crankbolt off?
    Depending if you want to lossen or tighten the crank pully bolt or flywheel bolts, will depend on which way the engine is turning, ie forward toward TDC or reverse toward TDC. I am not sure which way is which. Do you get my drift?

As for causing stress, like tinkerbell said, I think its up for argument, but he has never had a problem with it.
    Deano.

sorry i meant to loosen the crank bolt....this method would work fine?

yeh just afraid to damage any valves etc...

the valve should be closed at the top of the stroke
    B20VTEC - since 2002