Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Once again you doubt the advice I originally gave you genesis.........

I'll save my breath next time.
    DLUG Racing

225 is too big

215 is okay

205 is perfect

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDCORE
    Once again you doubt the advice I originally gave you genesis.........

I'll save my breath next time.
    doood.. i did not doubt u, i just after other opinions
    i need vtak!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic GLi - D16y4
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSha
    I'm also running 205/45, the passenger rear rubs on the inside edge of the upper wheel well guard. Strangely it doesn't do it if I don't have a passenger in the car and never does it with any other wheels.
    Sounds like you have a damaged strut. I have the same thing on mine when I used 215/45 on my 17" rims. I changed to 205/40s and they work great, though one day I will have to replace the damaged strut. When that day comes, i will be replacing all the struts with full coil-overs (not the cheap coil-over springs).

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic GLi - D16y4
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis
    Is it possible with 16x7 rim? I'm due for some new tyres, and I want to know if anyone has fit 225/45 tyres on their car.

thanks
    Aleks
    225/45s are way too wide. You'll need to use flared fenders, and your steering may need adjustment if you want to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by hotcvic
    225/45s are way too wide. You'll need to use flared fenders, and your steering may need adjustment if you want to use them.
    Don't mean to start a flame war, but this is something I've considered before.

RTA guidelines: for tyre widths, max size is largest optional tyre + 25mm

for a Civic, that's 195mm + 25mm = 220mm. (That's very close, but still illegal, ... but very, very close)

A 225mm tyre when mounted on a car with a little negative camber, (as per whiteline suspension recommendations, for example) will place the top outer edge of the tyre in much the same place as a 205mm tyre with no camber.

The inside edge has only, like a finger's gap between the tyre and the spring, but it seems to be the consensus that your tyre will rub on the guard, which from above might not be that much of a concern.

From memory a 225/40 series tyre will take care of the rolling circumference and thus be equivalent in diameter.

So, the question is, has anybody actually tried this?

Nick.

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    Actually, the RTA guidelines list RIM SIZE as a 25mm increase.

You can fit any width/profile tyre you want as long as it safely fits the rim, it meets or exceeds the speed/load rating and the rolling diameter of the wheel/tyre combo is no more than 15mm larger...
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

Quote Originally Posted by iamhappy46
    Actually, the RTA guidelines list RIM SIZE as a 25mm increase.

You can fit any width/profile tyre you want as long as it safely fits the rim, it meets or exceeds the speed/load rating and the rolling diameter of the wheel/tyre combo is no more than 15mm larger...

RE: RTA guidelines - oops. my bad. Also, the rim size can go up by 26mm.

still not convinced 225's are impossible.

Mind you 205's tramline like crazy and it's only gonna be worse with bigger tyres.

Nick.

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 Civic GLi (Turbo)
    I've got 215/40 17s on the front of mine, and they scrub on bumps. Had them on the back originally too, but changed to 205/40 and it still scrubs on bumps in the back. 225 would just be crazy....

Member Array
    Car:
    EK>DC5R>S2K&JAZ
    i used to run 205/45/16, no probs
    now i run 205/40/16 for better look
    anybigger i wouldnt recomment, make it look crap with the fat rubbers hanging.
    might scrub too cos i know your car is lowered?