Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...

CTR CAMS in B16a = raising limiter?

Just wondering whehther i need to raise the revlimit on my car to get the most outta the CTR cams or whether its sufficient to have fuel management

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    Buy a CTR computer to really get some benefit, raises rev-limit in the process.
    Found this last night when I was looking for parts:
    http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_...roducts_id=792

or buy an aftermarket ECU and be able to modify it with each upgrade...

Member Array
    Car:
    Golf GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by **Ghost**
    Just wondering whehther i need to raise the revlimit on my car to get the most outta the CTR cams or whether its sufficient to have fuel management
    i'd be looking to raise the rev limit a little, nothing a decent aftermarket computer couldn't handle.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    i've got a paperweight Mugen Full Race ECu available if i need it... i suppose i can hook fuel management to that

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    There's no use in raising the rev limit unless you've modded the engine to handle higher reving, i.e valve retainers, stem valves, valve springs etc... The cams are tuned for higher RPM but this won't be much help if your engine can't take it. You'll just end up blowing the engine or destroying the piston rings/pistons
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    DONT go raising revlimit if you dont plan on installing the appropriate springs/retainers.

The Mugen ECU may not necessarily be the correct fueling choice as remember the b16b's are a B18C block, destroked which means a very long rod and breathing characteristics will change, especially in the upper rpm band where fuel tends to taper after max torque.

I would personally stick to the stock ECU and have it chipped (if you cant afford a tune) accordingly.
    A vafc or similar might be useful, i've never liked/used them so I dont know if they can raise the limiter.... i doubt it.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    vafc cant do it, neither can emanage

i wish i could chip the damn thing but i got obd2 and its a huge hassle to find ECU, chip it, find harness, etc

i've upgraded by springs to CTR ones..,.. i chose not to do retainers not cos of cost but cos they are meant to be same as normal EK4 ones?|

Member Array
    Car:
    VX II SS, 75 HJ 355
    I would leave it untill you can afford a tuneable ecu solution. You wouldn't really notice a difference if you were to raise your rev limiter with the motor as it is (I'm assuming you have I/H/E). The CTR has a higher CR also. I wouldn't bother messing around with your rev limiter till you get the car tuned, that's what I did.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    i can get my car tuned wth a VAFC atm (got it on and tuned to current specs)

i shoudl clairfy my question... should i go

1. EK4 P30 ECU + VAFC
    2. EK9/MUGEN ECU + VAFC

Between #1 and #2, the only diff is the rev limiter/redline... given that i have CTR valvesprings i should be able to rev higher

Stock P30 goes up to 8200rpm. Considering the EK9 goes up to 8400rpm there might be somethign to gain by revving up another 200rpm, BUT i'm pretty sure Ek9 makes peak power at 8200 anyway.

So the question is not what i need to do to rev another 200rpm, but whether its necessary in terms of making power to go that extra rpm

Member Array
    Car:
    VX II SS, 75 HJ 355
    I have CTR cams and valvesprings in my jdm b16 and I made power up to around 8500rpm. Best way of determining which of the two solutions you suggested would be to run them back to back on the dyno.

Member Array
    Car:
    Audi TT 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by **Ghost**
    i can get my car tuned wth a VAFC atm (got it on and tuned to current specs)

i shoudl clairfy my question... should i go

1. EK4 P30 ECU + VAFC
    2. EK9/MUGEN ECU + VAFC

Between #1 and #2, the only diff is the rev limiter/redline... given that i have CTR valvesprings i should be able to rev higher

Stock P30 goes up to 8200rpm. Considering the EK9 goes up to 8400rpm there might be somethign to gain by revving up another 200rpm, BUT i'm pretty sure Ek9 makes peak power at 8200 anyway.

So the question is not what i need to do to rev another 200rpm, but whether its necessary in terms of making power to go that extra rpm
    well u dont wanna be hittin peak power exactly on rev limiter.. you gotta go over a bit...
    for example.. its like saying my b16s peak power is at 7600 so shift then... it will be slow as considering the redline is at 8000rpm...

if a CTR hits peak power at 8200.. where is its redline ??
    FFR33K - SOLD
    LSV73C - SOLD
    CW DC5R - SOLD

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    8500? fark thats pretty good

u didnt change retainers tho right? i'm pretty sure ek4 vs ek9 retainers are the same

i really want to run uberdata now