Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    yeh i'm having the exact same problem

just gonna take my block to the mechanic so they can take the bolt off with an air compressor gun and do the rest myself basically.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    Quote Originally Posted by VTi-R Civic
    Yes they are.

I give up. I do my own work because I enjoy it but I am over this. I'll put it back together and take it to someone so they can do it for me. It's frustrating because I am so close to removing the part I need off to complete the job but it just doesn't look like it is going to come off through conventional means. I suspect someone has overtorqued the bolt in a major way last time this was done.

I could probably get it off with a bigger (ie: HUGE) bar but I've spent enough on tools because of this sort of thing already and I have spent way too much time trying to get this thing off already.

im having the exact same problem. I spent more than 5 hours today trying to ful this SOB bolt off. I tried everything, the method shown, rattle gun, i welded up a ghetto bracket to try to hold the harmonic balancer. The last way is the closest i got, when I tried to crack the bolt with the breaker bar and a big mofo pipe on it, I snapped the 1/2" extension that i had on the socket/breaker. I have never seen a 1/2" drive anything snap before so I am thinking, I'm gonna put it all back together tomorrow, take it to my cousins worksop on monday (truck mechanic) and get him to see if he can loosen the mofo with his 3/4" drive rattlegun then nip it, bring it home and finish the job.

But its pretty depressing, whole day for one bolt. My mate was with me was a mechanic and he was cracking stupid jokes like 'i forgot to tell you i failed bolt removal fundamentals at tafe' and so on. but yea. LONG DAY

Member Array
    yeh man, that was the most depressing thing about my swap - getting that thing off..

but i mean, at this point, just stop trying.

I took it to a workshope and took them 10 seconds.

Dont break anymore equipment - like i did.

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Integra Type R.
    I had the same Prob, even with a rattle gun. I eventually took the Starter motor off. Cause putting in First,with it jacked-up, wasn't doing anything. Jammed the Flywheel teeth. Finally came off, with a bang. I thought...Shit...Was that Teeth on the Fly wheel?...But it was just the Bolt letting Go.

Good luck.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    yeh i put it all back together and am going to buy a BIG MOFO rattlegun. My 1/2" one is useless. Only good for wheel studs and other softcore mech. work. I'm gonna get the magnum rattlegun, do a clint eastwood. 'do u feel lucky punk.. well doya'

trying to get the crank bolt off.

i bought a 2hp compressor and hired a gun from kennards which didn't do the job after constant smashing the breaker bar to loosen it and using the gun too.

the engine is running and on its wheels and drivable but it's leaking to much oil to drive it down to the mechanic to get him to remove it.

do lube mobile carry air compressors / impact wrenches?

I would call them but they are closed atm.

and what size compressors?

maybe they can get the bolt off.

if not does anyone have any further advice for me?

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    my compressor is a 15cmf, your 2 HP compressor is probably arount 6 to 8 CMF, just wont cut the cheese,

try using a bigger bar and hit it harder. the hit it with a bar method works, trust me, you should be able to loosen the bolt enough so your compressor will get it out. you just gotta be persistant.

some are easy, one whack and the gun will do the rest. ( like in this Video )

some are real biuches, have to beat the crap out of it before it will give. ( like in the Cambelt Video )

how heavy and long is the bar your using.

the bar was longer than 1m

me and a mate both spent 30 minutes whacking the crap out of it

used the gun on it today

along with whacking it hard

didn't do crap

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_antoi
    the bar was longer than 1m

me and a mate both spent 30 minutes whacking the crap out of it

used the gun on it today

along with whacking it hard

didn't do crap
    i did round 2 yesterday, thought i would try crack the crank pulley bolt befoore i did anything else just in case i got stuck again..

GUESS WHAT??

THE POS BOLT DIDN'T COME OFF AGAIN!!!!!

I tried everything again man, Im just over it 100%. I've never seen a more stubborn bolt in my life. My dad was sitting with my drinking beer and he was giving me moral support by swearing at it in greek for me while passing me tools. As for the 12cfm compressor scenario. I have a 15cfm compressor and my 1/2" drive rattle didnt even budge it. Im going to borrow a 3/4" drive of a frd of a frd next time and see if we can get this biutch off. Im not gonna give up this is about principles now. Think about it..

'what did u do this weekend?'
    'working on the car?'
    'oh yeh, what did u do?'
    'tried to take off a bolt'

'ohh... ok then.. better luck next time.'

there is no way im gonna let 1 bolt get the best of me.. I would rather attack the thing to the point where i snap the head off the c**t and have to drill the fu**er out.

the mission continues............. stay posted

lol tough luck man

just take it to the mechanic.

thats what i did the first time

took them 10 seconds - literally.

what size air compressor u got?

i was gonna hire the 3/4 inch drive but u need a 10hp + compressor

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    10hp+ really. I was told you only need 150psi to run the 3/4" drive. My compressor pushes that pretty easy so I was hoping i could borrow it. I might just take it to his wkshop and get him to crack it then nip it back till i drive it home like i originally planned.

I cant take the car to a mechanic man, i will feel like i failed, ok if it was something that i havent done before, but a timing belt damn.

you ended up taking it to a mechanic to do the whole job or just take the balancer off??

just the balancer - there was no other way i could have gotten it off

kennards said there is no way my 2hp compressor would be able to power the 3/4" drive

he said i would need something close to 10hp