Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rim sizes for DC2

I'm upgrading my stockies on my DC2, just wanna know, with the size of the wheel arches etc etc, what is the optimal size for the rims and profiles?

At the moment there R15/225's I THINK - If I went to 17's and slightly wider with a low profile, what numbers should I be looking at? I asked tempe, and they said they weight in at approx 6KG each, so I dont think weight will be a problem.

In other words, I'm buying these rims start of next week, what R17/y/x should I ask for?

I don't want to lose acceleration, and
    I dont want to have my speedo recalibrated.

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra GSi 1994
    Hey Moya,
    Those are awesome looking rims! I don't think your rims are R15 225's though. That seems a bit too wide. With 17 inch rims, the tyres you are looking at are 215/35/17R. These are the closest size to keep your stock rolling diameter so your speedo will be as accurate as possible. With 17" rims and a good quality low profile tyre, you will gain acceleration, braking and handling!

Have a look at the 15''s on your car at the moment and get the tyre specs and plug them into this web site to see how far off your speedo will be with 215/35/17 tyres. Tyre Size Calculator

You could probably even get away with 215/40/17, thats what i have at the moment. Those rims will fit your DC2 nicely, so when you get them, take them to your tyre place and they will help you with the best possible tyres for how you want your car to perform. They also have a listing of all cars and tyre sizes.
    Last edited by south; 18-11-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks south, very helpful!

Will 215 be too wide? I've read alot of threads on here, and the consenses seems to be 205/40/R17 to be the best, because a few people on 45 seem to be scraping?

That link is great, on 40's i'll be 1.4% too slow, at 35 I'll be 2.2% too fast. Stock tyre for 95 Teg VTi-R is 195/55/R15. Both, basically irrelavent. I might go the 35's as it'll be thinner.

Now all I need to worry about is the wideness. Will 215 definately be okay? What does the 17x7 rim convert into in regards to 195/205/215/225's etc?

Once again, thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra GSi 1994
    I've been running 215/40/17's for a month now and havent had a problem with the tyres hitting or rubbing anything when i turn, so i don't see it as a problem. However over the next couple of months i will be adding a full kit and lowering my teg, so i am a bit worried that something might hit when its lowered, but thats why god made adjustable coilovers!

Bottom line, on a stock teg, 215's give enough room for the tyre to move comfortably without hitting anything. And 215s are wider than 205s so more tyre surface area means more traction, and that will help with steering and acceleration, therefore i sleep better at night knowing i have 215s.

My rims are G.Max M111 in white and they are 17x7 with 215/40/17 and they fit perfectly. So you shouldnt have a problem fitting 215/35/17 on your rims.
    Last edited by south; 18-11-2005 at 04:41 PM.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    Hey Moya, I also have 17x7 215/40/17..
    they scrub a little bit when I corner hard, or when I have a car full of passengers, but over-all, when im doing daily driving they are really great.

Anything larger and it's really not worth it, I find that the ride isn't too bumpy, but I dont like to go too fast over the crappy burwood highway in vermont south

Quote Originally Posted by yourfather
    Hey Moya, I also have 17x7 215/40/17..
    they scrub a little bit when I corner hard, or when I have a car full of passengers, but over-all, when im doing daily driving they are really great.

Anything larger and it's really not worth it, I find that the ride isn't too bumpy, but I dont like to go too fast over the crappy burwood highway in vermont south
    Is the scrubbing due to the 40 or 215 though?

If I dropped to 215/35 would that fix it?

Member Array
    Car:
    dc teggy
    copycat:P
    gold wheels are the shizzzzle
    48USE honda integra FOR SALE

see link:
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...96#post1545396

Member Array
    Car:
    dc teggy
    also how low your car is will depend on the rubbing.
    i have 215's/40/17's and they only rub when i have more then 1 passenger.
    i suggest this size and it is the biggest you can get that is still practicle.

see link:

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    I have 225/35/R18 on my DC4 and there's some scrubbing at the front under full lock. If I take a corner sharp and fast enough, there's also some scrubbing at the rear. My car is 'sports low' on Kings springs.

I did have 215/45/R17 on there previously, and I can say that the new rims/tyres give a much better ride quality, and handling.
    Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Member Array
    Car:
    dc teggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenno'Teg
    I did have 215/45/R17 on there previously, and I can say that the new rims/tyres give a much better ride quality, and handling.
    srubbing = gay.
    i cant imagine them handling better.
    for performance i would go a nice fat set of 16's..
    18's and handling is very very hard on a small car.
    i dont think i'll take your word on that one kenno
    although what would i know...

see link:

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    Quote Originally Posted by Moya
    Is the scrubbing due to the 40 or 215 though?

If I dropped to 215/35 would that fix it?

probably a bit of both, cuz it only scrubs just on the edge of the arches, nothing that a rolled guard wouldn't fix...

plus my car is at stock ride height at the moment...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Are 17's on the DC2 illegal? I'm looking to do what Moya is (new rims, 17's on lows) but I'm curious about the legalities for QLD. If I recall, I believe your allowed to increase rim size by +2" - so this is fine as stock shes 15?