Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    96 civic

lowered civic problem

hey all, all those out there with an ek sedan or coupe who have lowered the rear of the cars please tell which shocks they have used, i slammed the back of mine now i have no shock left bottoms out all the time, i don't know exactly how much its lowered, i'd say 4" as the gaurd is at my rims which are 18's... all help would be appriciated...

P.S i don't wanna go the coilover option, just lookin for a shock that can do the job with out bursting the wallet..

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Mirage
    kyb agx adjustables
    if you got more money koni yellows.

the problem is that your shocks have no travel because you lowered the car that much.

do you have modified bump stops at all?

get the shocks shortened by an engineer - all springs in NSW does it and i have only heard that they do it to koni adjustables... they did for my friends sss - they also still have wty

I got 2.5" around, the front guard sits about 2cm above the rim of my 17s.... 4" I would imagine rim is tucked under guard... like nobbs's

but anyway to answer your question, yep i still have travel room. I wasn't sure if I bottom out or not but I cut my bump stops in half just incase.

Member Array
    Car:
    96 civic
    how much would i be lookin for those, i did a formal last nite so o lowered the front aswell so now i'm lookin at all four shocks, the back tucks the the tyre slightly above the rim and the front tucks at least half the tyre..

looks wicked but a real bastard to drive on bumpy streets...

takin pictures this w/e so i'll post some up when i got some

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    The fact you have 18's would not help, had the same problem myself on my sss.
    215/35R18's with a recommended tyre pressure of 40+psi cause massive jolts into your shocks that a higher profile tyre would soak up.

Noltec suspension now make a coil-over conversion kit, for turning your struts into a coil-over setup. However, if your on a tight budget, call a few shock absorber suppliers and see if they offer a shortened strut assembly.
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

Member Array
    Car:
    96 civic
    this is gunna sound stupid, but where are the bump stops in the rear??

Member Array
    Car:
    96" VTIR Civic
    the bump stops r on the shafts of the shocks

cutting your bump stops thoe will not save your shocks its a safety precaution cause you can bounce straight off the road
    Last edited by jackosimm; 15-12-2005 at 06:36 PM. Reason: jacko edit" Added second paragraph/second post

Member Array
    Car:
    96 civic
    yeah, thats very true... i tried the kyb website and they don't make the performance shocks of ek's.. i'm starting to think i mite save for coilovers since i'm not having much luck with shocks.. which coilovers would allow me to lower the car alot? my mates have them in there cars and didn't seem to lower them as much as i thought

Member Array
    Car:
    02 silver s2k
    i got Monroes and they are doin fine but yea man ir eckon theyt are abt to blow soon
    im dropped 3.5 on 16inch rimz so its not to bad!! Get coilovers dude
    TeaM WesT -Team west Fits Best

02 Silverstone s2k

If Sparks Dont Fly Your Rides To High

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    A bit of topic but dont u guys find a lowered car annoying?

My civic is lowered and I have to remove the front spoiler everytime I get new tyres, get the car towed (2x distrubitor problems ), or get the car serviced. Not to mention the 5km speed I have to drive going over speed bumps or badly designed car parks, and having to reverse into every car park.

Was gonna lower my next car, but I dont think I will now...
    Last edited by EuroDude; 19-12-2005 at 02:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    96 civic
    i don't find it annoyin, part from the shocks bottoming out its just sumfin you gotta put up with i guess.. i love bein low!!!!!!