Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige

Cool stainless steel airfilters *thoughts*

hi fellas,

just wanted some opinions about stainless steel air filters. Im looking to upgrade my air filter as my current comptech one is a POS....i understand that the stainless steel filter will allow for much better air flow. Just wanted to know from those who had a stainless steel filter on their car and their opinions about it.

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Mirage
    the airflow and power increase is negligible.
    blitz and blitz style as well as hks mushroom and mushrooms style let in alot of dirt. on a 400kw turbo car you will gain not even 0.7kw let alone gains on an n/a car.

the filter to go for are the dry cotton like apexi or oiled cotton like k&n.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Sedan w/JDM ZC
    yeah they filter like crap.
    give them a miss. just go with a K&N.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    what if the stainless steel filter was in an enclosed air box?

Also i thought sponge oiled filters were crap? my current one is a sponge oiled filter and barely allows for any air flow. My second option was the apexi range which seem quite good.

Member Array
    the main issue would be how often u clean/replace ur airfilter..

personally i'd stick with k&n, they got the cleaner kit for the filters

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    i had one before they are not that good. I could see a small amout of dirt buildup inside the piping. They look good though. Apexi is supose to be one of the best i saw a test on it. Next is the k&N.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    Limbo- did u have it as an exposed pod or in an enclosed airbox? cus mine will be in an insulated enclosed airbox?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    I found a leaf in my civics airbox.... so it being in a box doent help that much
    Ctrl + W

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    decided to go with the stainless filter for experiment. Installed it today and the car now feels like it revs more freely. Seems to be much louder, and revs seem to pik up quicker...it could all jus be in my mind but yeh...

i always wondered the affect of SS filters and piping with heat opposed to the stock plastic piping or CF set up.

any input on this???
    Import Performance and Styling
    -= Official distributors for Password JDM =-

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoon
    i always wondered the affect of SS filters and piping with heat opposed to the stock plastic piping or CF set up.

any input on this???
    Atm im just using my stainless steel filter with my current comptech setup with has plastic piping. I would imagine with steel piping it would attract more heat. The amount of heat that the pod would be exposed to could come down to ur setup and how close the filter is to the motor. Another solution would be to have it in an insulated airbox for maximum efficiency. Heres a pic of my setup

Member Array
    Car:
    Red Civic Coupe EJ8
    fly, i recently brought the apexi power intake air filter with stainless steel piping. and i must say, i notice the increase in HP becos i drove my stock car for many months now and it also makes a nice noise when u rev ur engine or vtec it.
    you cant do much about the pipe heating up, but those plastic ones heat up just as much.
    I'm gonna make a heat shield on mine to block off the hot air from the radiator fan, i also got a pipe built into my front kit that allows the pod to suck air from.

i got mine for $280 including pipe and installation from shift performance. what a bargain! i recommend it. check my car spec for pics
    Last edited by LoiBoi; 31-12-2005 at 02:05 AM.