Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gearbox - gearbox from b16a into dc2 vtir?

Hi there,

My gearbox needs to be replaced. My cousin may have a spare gearbox from a b16a lying around. He's already told me the gear ratios are slightly shorter. Will there be any problems or big differences you believe if I get this one installed?

or should I find one from a vtir b18c?

and no, not looking at the type R gearbox option. Not really worth it $$ wise.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
    blah blah blah

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    It will bolt up but generally, the B16A boxes are less durable than a B18C gearbox, so how long it lasts is questionable.

Shorter ratios will allow your car to sprint quicker but will use more fuel at highway cruising speeds.

IMHO, find a B18C VTiR box
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

How will he use more fuel on highway trips?

Sure he will be cruising at a marginally higher rpm; But in terms of fuel consumption, the relatively, internal resistance is negligible compared to wind/tyre resistance.

The box isn't much shorter at all. Instead of doing 3100rpm on the highway (or whatever) you might do just over 3300 instead. It is far from a type-r tranny which is a little rediculous at high speeds.

Iamhappy - have you found them less durable from experience? We've also got a EK vtir at home, that is almost 10 years old and has no problems with the gearbox.

I mean I'm probably a bit more of a spirited driver comparitively to the person that drives our EK lol.

String...I'm a she btw....

Thanks both of you for your help.
    blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by iamhappy46
    It will bolt up but generally, the B16A boxes are less durable than a B18C gearbox, so how long it lasts is questionable.

Shorter ratios will allow your car to sprint quicker but will use more fuel at highway cruising speeds.

IMHO, find a B18C VTiR box
    Mate you really need to stop taking drugs and speaking out of your arse because you really have no idea whenever you post it is useless information.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Buddyclub Australia
    Member of Master Of Vtec Group

Hey Dave,

can you answer my question. My cousin is also using a gearbox from b16a with his type R conversion in his civic. It should be ok if I put the b16a gearbox in my teg? Will my current flywheel/clutch fit?

I got a quote for a b18c vtir gearbox today for $1400 which was a bit expensive lol and the other parts place I called didn't know that the vtir tegs only came in manual lol.
    blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Spunkymonkey
    Hey Dave,

can you answer my question. My cousin is also using a gearbox from b16a with his type R conversion in his civic. It should be ok if I put the b16a gearbox in my teg? Will my current flywheel/clutch fit?

I got a quote for a b18c vtir gearbox today for $1400 which was a bit expensive lol and the other parts place I called didn't know that the vtir tegs only came in manual lol.
    Clear your PM box Spunkymonkey.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Buddyclub Australia

Thanks
    blah blah blah

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    i would go the b16 box. the slightly shorter ratio is good and the highway mileage isnt as bad as everyone is making out to be.

I havent heard any probs with the durability of the b16 box either. A lot of ameteur b16 powered drag cars run standard box and they hold fine with a shi*load more power than a relatively stock b18

Quote Originally Posted by BiGANG
    i would go the b16 box. the slightly shorter ratio is good and the highway mileage isnt as bad as everyone is making out to be.

I havent heard any probs with the durability of the b16 box either. A lot of ameteur b16 powered drag cars run standard box and they hold fine with a shi*load more power than a relatively stock b18
    Top of the class for you reply.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Buddyclub Australia

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    early type Rs are also same ratio as b16a 4.4 if i rem right.
    Later 98+ Rs had even short ratios 4.7?

Depends on what your using the car for and if your needing the extra torque from the shorter ratio. i.e turbos don't need the shorter ratios.

I've found that most of you b series parts are just as duriable as others. You will find most of them are made from the same parts thus the interchangability of many parts.

I guess that's honda's trademark. Make a good part and use it across the range
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Thanks everyone. Will go the b16 box.
    blah blah blah