Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Ventura Bus Route

Sound Deadening Removal

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

just a little rundown if anyone is interested in removing there sound deadening material.

was a pretty tedious project but i chose the hard way. easiest way is with dry ice and chip it off, but i chose to melt it all off with a heat gun and scratch the crap out of the floor.

finished project came up ok. not as good as id like it, but good enough to put my feet on.

here is how it started:

with a scraper and a heat gun and patience this is the resuly. it doesnt look this bad using the dry ice method. dry ice takes it off in big chunks rather then small hot fkn balls of tar which continuely stick and burn your fingers

at this point in time, i regret what i had done cause it looked so bad:

wax & grease removed alot more then i expected, so with lots of rags and a sponge, soak up as much of it as you can. here is the difference:

once all is off, give the floor a light sand and prepare it for primer. i didnt spend too much time on this, but its up to you on how far you want to take it:

the primer stage was pretty straight forward. i applied 2-3 coats cause its going to withstand a fair bit of wear in the future, so make it thick. i used an etch primer because it sticks alot better to metal and raw surfaces:

Paint bit was pretty straight forward. being white, it covered up alot of my fukups. i applied 4 even coats of it. just make sure the surface is completely clean before you paint. and dont paint things that need to be colour coded. eg-wires!

i should have taken the time to paint the rest of it, because i mixed the paint based on the exterior colour, so the parts i havent sprayed inside are more of an off white, but i will be doing this in the future.

i hope this was of some help to people wanting to do this
    cheers

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    gangsta ass write up there JP.

u stripping it down for track mate?
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    yeah, why are u going through the weight loss??? big plans??

Ive also heard that dry-ice is the best method for this, im unsure of its availability here in oz though?

Member Array
    Car:
    GD1, EK4R,
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1985
    Ive also heard that dry-ice is the best method for this, im unsure of its availability here in oz though?
    dry-ice can be easily bought, just look it up in yellow pages, even LN2 can be easily bought.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    all that effort to remove sound deadning... but the H/U is still in there... there like 1kg!!
    Ctrl + W

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    so is the dash and door trims!
    lol

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by aimre
    all that effort to remove sound deadning... but the H/U is still in there... there like 1kg!!
    look at the second last pic.. looks like its removed to me? but my monitor is really dark n cant see properly

none the less nice work JP!
    Quote Originally Posted by z3lda
    ey, was drivin a honda city before...
    felt like the biggest poofter in the world..LOL

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A EVO X
    Nice i am too thinking of doing this to my car but where can i get dry ice from?? and do you just sit the ice on it and then chip it off with a hammer or chisel?? How legal is it to drive round the street with no carpet and just floor mats and no interior other than dash and front door trims??

cheers.

I believe you can get it from BOC Gasses. About 6 bucks a Kg

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A EVO X
    ok was thinking thats where to get it from.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ventura Bus Route
    yeh dry ice is much easier. just chips off.

and headunit will be replaced with an ipod for those smartasses commenting.

all the material in the bucket weighed 6kg

End result was good even though you chose the hard way to do it...... how were the fumes with the heat gun?

Only thing I can add is wait till winter if anyone else is planning to do it.
    DLUG Racing