Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    No sir the Spoon has the stock butterfly

Member Array
    Car:
    #28R
    Sorry but is "venturi" the word you're looking for?

Nice try with the mod tho, I wouldn't try it on my car but according to your butt dyno it seemed to work now to get some dyno charts happenin!

Quote Originally Posted by kimo
    Hi,

I have bored my throttle body at my friend's machine shop. I have found out the TB is not all the same thickness from top to bottom, it's like thick, less thick, then thinner. Told the guy at the machine to take off 3 mm all the way but he said he can't do it because it's very thin blow so he start to take off like 0.5mm and if you see at the photos there is a big bulk at the end of the TB he took it all the way to the surface, although have told him to take a lot more at the top but he was afraid as hasn't bored TB before, he usually works on cylinder heads, block, pistons, anyway I think he did a good job, as for the back I left it stock like the Spoon one, as a friend told that theory why back part is not bored is that if the ventuli plate is not change, a bigger back will not benefit the air intake flow. Just imagine, wider opening will allow more air to be suck in and with the tapered design it actually create higher pressure of air to the ventuli area(higher air flow), n so how does the bigger opening at the back helps except dispersing the pressure. But again, I'm not saying that the latest experimental mod are no good but have to dyno the cars fitted with both TB to find out the facts. After the work is done I cleaned the TB with air, and used carb cleaner to take off all the carbon deposit, oil. Now the most import part what are the results, will first I didn't didn't feel anything so I reset my ECU, later found that car feels a lot lighter you just to press very little and feel the car is moving fast and I feel it's better high end but still didn't test it, and all that on the stock filter, so with open filter will gain more as it will suck a lot more air. I think the FC will get a little high. The best part of this story how much did I spend. I just spend $5. The machine shop owned my friend they didn't ask anything and the worker worked like 1/2 hour, so I just gave a tip . the $5 is the cost of the carb cleaner and the transpiration cost to my friend shop, and the worker tip.

Here are the photos, take in consideration it's the first time it has been done and I am sure doesn't look like Spoon TB but again for just $5 and I gained power.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eskani.../ph//my_photos
    ...the return of

Too bad we don't have dyno back here.

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    Butt dynos are worth about as much as what comes out of them....SH*T!

Nice try but I'm with Benji on this one....at least you saved some weight!

Member Array
    Car:
    03 gli 325000ks
    not if u have a before and after on the same dyno

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    sounds gangsta, now you can take on WRX's like half the other jazz dreamers (-_-)
    (i drive a jazz vti-s almost every day so i know what i jazz can do)
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Member Array
    Car:
    Oldschool EF
    you woulda been better off spendin $5 on an air freshener

I am happy what I did, so now I know will do it in all my cars in the future, as it will cost just $5.

Member Array
    Car:
    Oldschool EF
    as long as you're happy..
    personally i'd spend $5 on an air freshener to increase my own personal pleasure performance.

You spend on $5 on your car freshener if it makes you happy, any I am happy with my $5 mod, don't need freshener as my car smells good.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Everyone is being a little mean - and kimo is obviously defensive.

In my understanding of fluid dynamics - you probably hindered the efficiency.... but then i only got a 50% for that subject.

good job for giving it a go, but maybe next time do some research before cutting.

Member Array
    Car:
    4th Gen Prelude VTiR
    I think you would have gotten some gains from it. Quite a lot of machine shops will bore out the TB whilst leaving the stock butterfly. But what they do is that tapper the bore to the size of the butterfly so there isn't a pronounced step. Basically the TB will look like a trumpet. This smoothes the airflow into the plenum and also causes a stronger pressure buildup on the buttlefly which improves throttle response. I plan on doing this to my lude.

For $5 its a good mod, does hell of a lot more for performance than a sticker.