Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RMS Rating

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R

RMS Rating

Hey people, my mate bought a set of JVC CS-FS6 splits for his car, the max power rating is 300W but they don't specify an RMS rating. I've looked all over the net for the rating including on the JVC website but they don't state it either. If anyone has a set of these speakers and knows the RMS rating could you tell us what it is or if anyone knows where I can find it...

Thanks heaps.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic GLi
    normally RMS power rating will be half the max rating, but 150w RMS seems abit untrue, i'll say 80WRMS on tap should be enough to drive this speaker sweet enough.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    mi getting those splits!!!!!!!!

i'll only b running of HU tho, cos im poor
    i dun fink 150rms is tru
    more like 60-80rms
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    btw, if u hooked them up, how r they????
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluish
    normally RMS power rating will be half the max rating, but 150w RMS seems abit untrue, i'll say 80WRMS on tap should be enough to drive this speaker sweet enough.
    That's not true. RMS rating is not half the PMPO. That's what alot of people say but it isn't true. It may seem that way but it isn't all true.

The JVC Splits can most likely handle 50-60rms.
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    We haven't hooked them up yet, but when we do I'll tell you how they go.

At the moment he has a HU @ 45w and a Kicker impulse IX404 amp @ 45W RMS. With these power ratings he doesn't want to hook the speakers up unless he's sure that they will run and that the speakers won't get damaged due to underpowering. So if he can't power the speakers with that amp, which amp would he have to get considering he has a minimal budget.

Thanks guys and have a verry merry christmas.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic GLi
    Quote Originally Posted by J-MuN
    That's not true. RMS rating is not half the PMPO. That's what alot of people say but it isn't true. It may seem that way but it isn't all true.

The JVC Splits can most likely handle 50-60rms.
    thats right, just a rough comparison, although theres no correlation btw RMS and PMPO or Peak Power, thats why i said feed 80WRMS(or 70WRMS) to the speaker, the most speaker will sound better if we power them abit more than they can actually handle, right? just my opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    can speakers get damaged if underpowered, eg if i run the same splits off HU.

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwillz
    can speakers get damaged if underpowered, eg if i run the same splits off HU.
    Speakers can not be damaged if underpowered. Doesn't really make sense if they did get damaged when a lower power is fed instead of the recommended power.
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    oh ok
    well
    i've decided to get the jvc as-ax3300 2x65rms neway

thanks for clearing up that theory j-mun
    i didnt think it wud b true

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    RX450h / RB3
    Quote Originally Posted by J-MuN
    Speakers can not be damaged if underpowered. Doesn't really make sense if they did get damaged when a lower power is fed instead of the recommended power.
    who said speaker can not be damaged if underpowered ??? its much easier speaker to be damaged if underpowered rather then overpowered, coz when the amp is underpowered is much easier to clip then voice coil is getting hot and u will burn the voice coil and void ur warranty for the speaker as well

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_NSX
    who said speaker can not be damaged if underpowered ??? its much easier speaker to be damaged if underpowered rather then overpowered, coz when the amp is underpowered is much easier to clip then voice coil is getting hot and u will burn the voice coil and void ur warranty for the speaker as well
    He was referring to running off an H/U.
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW