Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC4 Integra

D16Y1 swap into EG Civic - Wiring Question?

Hey guys, i've done alot of research, and for me to complete the conversion of D15B4 Carby ----> D16Y1 SOHC VTEC... i will need the following :

*COMPLETE Motor (D16Y1) with mounts e.t.c
    *Engine Wiring Harness
    *EFI Fuel Tank + lines
    *P28 ECU

Now from what i understand everything bolts up fine. My question which i cant find much info on is :

Do i need to get a new 'Dash' wiring harness out of a 'vti' civic or equivilent OR can i use my "GL" carby dash wiring harness ??
    I know u need the D16Y1 engine wiring harness but not sure about this dash one. Obviously this would involve taking off the dash ?? is there a DIY for this ?

Also in terms of fuel delivery ?... I understand that i need to get a EFI fuel tank ( which has internal pump) and also the fuel lines that run under the car?
    Can i not use the carby fuel lines ?

BTW - The car is OBD1 and so is the new engine....

Going to attempt the swap next week so all help appreciated guyz. !

Thanks in advance.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    i suggest your get your hands on a dash loom. gut the pgmfi wiring from it and add it to your civic with out ripping your dash out. also need ot ass the main relay

you will need to find a D16Y1 rom for your P28 and add it to your P28.

use the exisiting fuel line as a return line and run another ( bigger ) line for the main fuel line

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4 Integra
    Thanks ECU-MAN,

The p28 im getting was already running this D16Y1 motor, so i assume its already got the rom chip setup.

When u talk about "pgmfi wiring " can u explain what "pgmfi" means exactly ?? Im lost there mate...

BTW I will be installing Aircon into the car, therefore i will need to remove the dash to put the aircon box right ??
    Last edited by Andrew21; 29-12-2005 at 07:45 PM.

Car:
    twin GX160's
    for the air con

no you do not

you remove the glove box, the metal brace that goes across the there. then unscrew the spacer and pull it out. pull out the rubber grommit where the lines go out to the engine bay and fit the air con type grommit, also fit the grommit for the drain pipe and then fit the drain pipe

then fit the evapoator in its place, make sure you scrwe it in. connect the thermostat 3 pin connector to the evaporator and put the metal brace and the glove box back in.

you pull off the air con switch cover and simply press in the air con switch.

in the engine bay remove yor battery, the battery base cover 3x 12mm bolts and fit your air con lines.

PGMFI
    is honda's name for fuel injection

Programed Fuel Injection.

so when you get the cabin loom. split it open and seperate the wires that come from the 3 connectors from the shock tower to the ecu connectors. and any other wires from the ecu connectors to the fuesbox.
    the trickky bit is wring the wires that go from the ecu connectors the cars loom, they consist of power and ground for the ecu and power to the main relay and fuel pump.

a wiring diagram will help you. I can send you one

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4 Integra
    Ahh thanks ECU-Man, your a champ !!

So what your saying about the pgmfi wires is, get the cabin loom for the D16Y1, then, instead of taking the dash apart and putting the new loom in, just cut the necessary wires off the new loom to match the 3 plugs on the shock tower, and wire that into the ECU. and do the same for ECU wires -> fuse box wires ?

Sounds good to me...

If u could send a wiring diagram that would be sweet.. my email is:

andrewdm@exemail.com.au
    Last edited by Andrew21; 29-12-2005 at 08:22 PM.

Car:
    twin GX160's
    no worries

thats pretty much what you have to do.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4 Integra
    Cool, Thanks for the wiring diagrams aswell... BTW the last pic of the ECU doesnt work ??

It doesnt seem that hard, just time consuming....

Member Array
    i'm up to this stage in my current swap and actually have the current interior dash harness - what parts do i chop off the harness?

would it be the ones i've circled in these pictures

after i've cut those off the harness i have as spare how do i wire them in after that?

Last edited by krasyvy; 29-12-2005 at 09:35 PM.

Car:
    twin GX160's
    what you have to do is

the two circle you have made. unsheeth the conduit from the loom, then seperate the wires from the engine bay connectors to the cabin ecu connectors

do not cut them, seperate them

there about 6 wires from the ECU connectors that start at the ecu connectors and go in the big fat long loom to the dash side. these are the ones you have to manually run and wire, also you will have to cut these 6 or so wires from the loom

they are the main PGMFI relay
    fuel pump
    power

make sure you do not cut anything between the enginebay 3 connectors to the ecu connectors in the loom.

do you understand the above ???

i think I sent you thoes pics of the PGMFI schematics as well. let me know if you dont have them
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 29-12-2005 at 09:44 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EG =D
    O_O cainer i got someone to talk to when im gonna do my d16y1 conversion but i thought this engine isnt Vtec'ed

i was wondering also how much is this all costing u, my mate alrdy told me complete engine is alrdy 800 bucks and efi setup is anthoer 800 both without installation ..
    PLUS do u really need to get a P28 ECU ?????? =O

Member Array
    well the whole conversion including buy some tools i didn't have will cost me about 1k give or take.

the d16y1 is a vtec engine

Member Array
    i'm having problems with separating my wiring loom.

i tried to separate the section that has 3 plugs to ecu connectors, like you said. These 3 plugs have wires that lead directly into the ecu connectors, however, the ecu connector wires dont all lead directly back into the 3 plugs. there are a series of wires that lead back into the wiring loom...

i know that 6 of them go into the pgmfi main relay but there are others.

for example, one of these wires is vss.

i can take pics of necessary

do i also need to connect these remaining wires (vss)? and if so how would i do that?