Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic

Civic brake upgrade

I know that this topic has been covered in part in other threads (as I have searched) but nothing completely answers my questions.

I would like to upgrade my current brakes on my ek1. A little background - this is for street use and I would just like to feel a little more confidence with stopping power. Furthermore, cosmetically it would be nice to see a big disc/caliper behind my wheels. For those that dont know the rears on this car are just drums. I suppose my real question is, what is the best bang for buck in terms of upgrading brakes for this car?

-Should I forget the rear (ie leave the drums) and simply focus on the front (if so, just put on a larger caliper and change pads as required)?
    -Should I look at upgrading the drums to discs and just put a beefier pad in the front?
    -Should I change both front and rear to a big disc?
    -Look for a big front and rear setup from one of the other Honda makes?
    -Another option that I have not thought of?

Let me know what you all think. I would especially like to hear from those that have done the drum-to-disc conversion to hear their thoughts on the upgrade.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

-Should I forget the rear (ie leave the drums) and simply focus on the front (if so, just put on a larger caliper and change pads as required)?

forget the rear...brake bias is track talk and if you'r enot a predominatn tracker thant he front will net you some nice stoppiong power

-Should I look at upgrading the drums to discs and just put a beefier pad in the front?

UNLESS your car is a cxi then look at getting EG rear discs or integra rear discs.

-Should I change both front and rear to a big disc?

front can go up to a ITR disc and caliper... maybe look at ripping the undercarriage off a 96 spec ITR

-Look for a big front and rear setup from one of the other Honda makes?

see above. only issue is 96 spec is 4 x 114.3... so maybe a 98 spec but IMO this is quite hardcore...

-Another option that I have not thought of?

upgrade your front pads depending on your budget and then replace your rear drums for EG5 discs.

Car:
    Civic
    Thanks for that, but should have specified.

Yes it is a cxi:
    Front is a 10.3" disc.
    Rear is drums.
    4x100 stud pattern (which I would prefer to keep).

So as I understand, you cant see any real benefit to upgrading the rear?

Am I better looking for a set of ITR rotors/calipers than say leaving the current stock caliper and picking up a set of DBA slotted rotors?

Another question, assuming I would go for an ITR caliper/rotor combo, will it be a straight bolt onto the existing LCA/chassis of the ek1?
    Last edited by Zdster; 03-01-2006 at 09:36 PM.

They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    IMO if i were you i would just keep it all stock!
    Some new pads + machined discs and it'll be sweet

The standard brakes (although drums at the rear) are fine for driving on the street, you shouldnt need ultimate stopping power for street only use.

If you plan on upgrading the engine, or plan to track the car in the future then i think it would be appropriate.

It is all upto you though and you can spend your money on what you like. From what you mentioned though i personally cant see any point in an upgrade.

Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1985
    IMO if i were you i would just keep it all stock!
    Some new pads + machined discs and it'll be sweet

The standard brakes (although drums at the rear) are fine for driving on the street, you shouldnt need ultimate stopping power for street only use.

If you plan on upgrading the engine, or plan to track the car in the future then i think it would be appropriate.

It is all upto you though and you can spend your money on what you like. From what you mentioned though i personally cant see any point in an upgrade.
    Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly the sort of opinions that I am looking for.

My problem is (while for the short term I will not be tracking the car - may look into this in the future), my pads are fairly new and the discs were machined not all that long ago. I am really looking for something that adds that little bit of extra stopping power that I dont seem to be getting at the moment.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000, Jazz, Civic
    You could option for some harder/better pads and slotted rotors.
    Upgrading your suspension to minimise the car nose diving would be good idea.
    other ideas is using braded brake hose, this will make the brakes more sensitive and firm.
    Brake stopper to make the brake cyclinder not move etc
    Last edited by civiceg9; 03-01-2006 at 09:47 PM.

Car:
    Civic
    Anybody else have any thoughts?

lose some excess car weight... that will help the brakes.

I love brakes theat bite... i have Integra calipers on my EG and it is one of my best mods... but i went form a 9inch disc to a 10inch so its all about perspective...

you can go from the 10inch to the 11 inch ITR disc and caliper set...i am sure you wont have any complaints... BUT upgrading the rear to discs first will make a difference to your stopping power. I would suggest you look for an EG Si/Vti or Integra rear hub.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    What pads do you have? I would say start with getting some good pads first as for the street (with stock power) they should do fine.

If you were planning to track the car though that would be a different story. Even spirited driving on a stock engine some good pads should do the trick.

I haven't really driven a cxi so I can't comment on how good the brake setup is.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by type one
    lose some excess car weight... that will help the brakes.

I love brakes theat bite... i have Integra calipers on my EG and it is one of my best mods... but i went form a 9inch disc to a 10inch so its all about perspective...

you can go from the 10inch to the 11 inch ITR disc and caliper set...i am sure you wont have any complaints... BUT upgrading the rear to discs first will make a difference to your stopping power. I would suggest you look for an EG Si/Vti or Integra rear hub.
    Or that!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    if you just wanna better feel that you ain't getting, i recommend you get a brake stopper. This will dramaticly change the way your brakes feel.
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale

Car:
    Civic
    Thanks guys. Will have a word with the local wrecker about prices etc and see what some of the different options should cost.

As I said earlier, would really like to hear from people who have upgraded from drums to discs as well.