Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    finally did the tranny fluid change, brake pads, oil and oil filter the other week

also got myself one of these

great investment i think.. anyway found out there is an ATF filler bolt/hole for the tranny fluid.. but broke 2 socket extension bars trying to undo it :s so had to fill up throw the dipstick

Just wanna thank you guys again for all your help on the subject.
    See my Car here
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L VTEC.
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Just wanted to give kudos for this DIY, i followed it on the weekend to change my gearbox oil using the redline good-stuff on my b16a2 and it all went smoothly and was piss easy because the photos were clear. Thanks again for writing this up!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EGTWO
    Quote Originally Posted by efini7 View Post
    Just wanted to give kudos for this DIY, i followed it on the weekend to change my gearbox oil using the redline good-stuff on my b16a2 and it all went smoothly and was piss easy because the photos were clear. Thanks again for writing this up!!
    how does the gears feel on ur car now, is ur problem solved??

The gears are very smooth, change smooth also, the biggest thing i notice is backing off the accelerator under compression while in gear the car decelerates very smoothly, its hard to explain but its something i noticed.

I didnt get a chance to drive the car properly and for long enough to check if it has fixed the problem completely as i was in a hurry to get somewhere after i did the change but i will update you on that.

yep the gearbox oil change has fixed the problem, redline gear oil rules!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG hybrid
    I changed my '98 ITR LSD gearbox fluid with Motul FF-LSD Type 2 75W90 oil (green color fluid). The gearbox takes approx. 2.1-2.2 liters when the gearbox is at room temperature.

This is a very good guide for people like me with minimal hands-on mechanical experience. Loosening both the nuts are tough and definitely needs a breaker bar.

When old fluid is drained, metallic dust and metal particles are visible at the bottom of the oil tray. I think the old Honda MTF has been in there for about 20,000km. Guess it's all wear and tear.

After changing to fresh Motul oil, 2nd to 3rd gear appears to crunch a lot less. Regular and high-rpm quick gear shifts are alot smoother and more direct. Great stuff...

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    i'd recommend that if you have not changed your gear oil for a long time it might be good to flush the gear oil out with something to break it in. The reason is that you gearbox does not have a filtering system and if there are still alot of metal pieces in it do a second gear oil change.

eg. use some cheaper oil drive for about a week and then change it. Hopefully you would have picked up most of the metal bits which cause wear and tear and the occasional crunch.

Afterwards just change the gear oil more frequently. I know that Spoon recommends everytime you change you oil, but i think every second time should be fine for a daily driver
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Beautiful facelift EJ8!
    i'd say this diy would be much the same for y8 gear box? i need to do mine aswell!

Member Array
    Car:
    Beautiful facelift EJ8!
    anyone??

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    yes it would be bery simmliar, if not the same

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    93' Civic Hatchback
    just a noob question where would a get the honda fluid nd washers from??
    thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    From any Honda dealerships' Parts Department.
    FN2R