View Poll Results: Do you dab the throttle on up/down shifts?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes always

21 51.22%
  • Only on 'special' racing occasions

13 31.71%
  • No never

2 4.88%
  • No idea what we're talking about

5 12.20%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    ...dab the throttle to match the revs whenever you shift up / down (more importantly down) so as to reduce the clutch and synchro wear?

I do it all the time as a good habbit and also to make changes smoother. Being a NA car the revs drop off between changes really quickly if I don't dab the throttle.

Anyone else?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

yeah i rev match most of the times, the only time i dont rev match (down shift) is when i get lazy stopping at a traffic light and going into my driveway at nite...dont like to having mum knows when im home..hehe

but we should do it as it reduces clutch wear, the syncro is there so we dont need to rev match all the time.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    Yeh i match a lot of the time on downshift, esp. when downshifting into higher revs. Cant heel/toe though, the pedal position isnt quite right for me

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    i try to, but i often confuse myself. Do u mean, push clutch in, shift/match revs then release clutch?
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    YEahh pretty much.

Put clutch in, dab throttle to match revs, put in gear, let clutch out.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    I try to as well, it only works perfect after a while of practice though, you really need to know your car.

yeah at first it was confusing(sp), but i practice makes perfect and now im smooth at it.

poid: do u still have the stock pedals??? my friend changed his pedals and now he can downshift alot better....after market pedal for the throttle pedal, clips onto the stock pedal which gives a easier contact of the heel...just a thought it mite help.[/b]

heel and toe technique used for matching revs (left foot presses clutch in, right foot toe touches break while right foot heel presses accelerator). not something you'd need to do alot of, but if you can master this you'll find you can corner with greater balance and stay in the right rev range for power on exiting or accelerating thru a corner. wouldnt need to use it alot unless you absolutely must make tracks through a corner. would best be practised on a wide open corner with clear visibility at low speeds first or even more preferred, an actual track to for errors coz if you **** that up mid corner on a fairly tight road your gonna find the car way off balance and off power band and in all likelyhood carrying to much speed....you can tell where thats going.

wouldnt need to rev match all that often driving round normally and personally i dont do it, if you have an aftermarket exhuast your basically inviting the police to come harass you by doing so. all you Takumi's out there who get a chance to practice this in a controlled environment will notcie the difference tho (having said that i've nearly wiped myself out a few times, whoops :lol: ops: )

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW021
    Win, u should put another option up there for "Don't Know" cos I can't understand wat dab means at all... :lol: ops:

But i know that i'm so used to using more of my engine brake (if that's wat they call it) then using mah brakes to stop/slow down.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    Yeh i still have the stock pedals, i've noticed that if i were to put an aftermarket pedal on the accelerator it would be much improved, but i havent been bothered to actually get any yet.

Plenty of opportunity to practice these things in canberra though, half the intersections are roundabouts

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    i got aftermarket pedals for my accelerator/brake and they rock so much.. they are metal with those rubber grips on them, and they rock. I get so much better contact then on my clutch pedal, and in the wet they hold my feet so well, where as i splip off the clutch all the time!

time to get a aftermarket clutch pedal i think.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Quote Originally Posted by Weq
    i got aftermarket pedals for my accelerator/brake and they rock so much.. they are metal with those rubber grips on them, and they rock. I get so much better contact then on my clutch pedal, and in the wet they hold my feet so well, where as i splip off the clutch all the time!

time to get a aftermarket clutch pedal i think.
    why didnt you in the first place get the whole set, would off cost you less...