Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT or Manual ?

CVT or Manual ?

Guys I cant decide between the two for my new VTIS...

I perceive that CVT will make the car more marketable should I sell them in a few years time. I've always believed that I can always sell 2k more over a manual and hence also more marketable.

In the past I had trouble selling my manual toyota corolla with so many advertised.

However, this is a "sport" car so to speak, hence I wonder, is manual more popular ??

what are the pros and cons of CVT vs a manual ? I believe its the belt if its broken is really expensive. I'm planning to keep this car for 10 years, basically not selling and passing to my kids along the way, but not incur a hefty 10k simply to replace the CVT that worths more than the car's value.

I'm not a car expert, but in fact starting to build interest in cars by purchasing this vehicle.

any comments is very much appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTI-S
    Sports car ?? where did you get that idea. When I brought my car I jumped in a jazz with CVT the sales guy show us how it work and make it look real cool to change gears on the steering wheel. Unless its a M3 or a Enzo the semi automatic paddle shift I don't think the technology has yet to be filtered down to be as good as the above.

Ok so we stop the car I jump in, drove it first impression, it sucked as I knew a small capacity engine mated to a auto will not have any go just like the lancer I still have. the Changing gears on the steering wheel is just a gimmick better to leave it in auto mode. Floor the car well, don't seem to go anywhere. Took the car around and told the sales guy I wanted a Manual to test drive.

First impression nice and slick gear box, with 4 people in the car compared to the auto it acutally did quite well and got up to speed in line with traffic. Its like loading a WRX up with a full car load and racing it won't get those low 14's 0-400 times. with two people in the car its a pretty zippy little thing and my dad was commenting how zippy it was for such a car.

In the end I brought the VTI-S model, why compare to VTI and etc. Cause If i brought a VTI. I would be incline to add mags and stuff which I did while doing the deal, but in the end it nearly added to the cost of a VTI-S and I thought that whole package was great, So I choose that instead.

Auto will break and wear and tear, but it will be so much cheaper to replace a clutch than auto box, want cheaper repair cost go manual.

resale well if you going to keep the car for 10 years plus why worry about resale ?

only real reason I see people getting a auto jazz is that they can't drive manual or its a family member or have to share the car etc etc
    "When the christmas light drops the b***sh*t
    stops"
    04 Jazz VTI-S
    99 WRX
    97 Lancer MR

Member Array
    Car:
    03 gli 325000ks
    ive driven both, i'd take manual, but the cvt is quite good.

Member Array
    Car:
    爵士
    personal preference... some CVT owners said they want to go back to Manual, some Manual owners said they want to go to CVT.. yadi yada yada.. Pay more to get a CVT but can sell more because it is a CVT..

FYI, CVT is not belt driven.. it has chain inside and hence chances of breaking is very minimal..

My views: (here I go with my sh1t..)

- CVT cost more to replace than Manual if disaster strikes..
    - I have both Manual (diff car) and CVT and I love driving a CVT with the F1 inspired paddle shift (fake gear shift) and have a bit of fun pretending to be Juan Pablo.
    - I love CVT in traffic hence my foot got really tired with manual in traffic..
    - I love CVT in long trip as it product the maximum amount of torque at any speed and not compromise on fuel.
    - I love Manual when I have mods to the car (exhaust) and it sounds just right ..not flat..
    - I love Manual ... Urrrrr... don't have to pay extra for the automatic...hence cheaper to buy new cars..
    - I love Manual as not many people in the household can drive it and hence I get to keep the car to myself.. (not being selfish.. they can drive the CVT...)

Enuff of my bull... I STFU!!!

P.S. technically speaking with the calculation in theory.. see the picture below.. (please note this calculation applies to MT and CVT not specifically to Jazz...)

Last edited by ahcash; 13-01-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    BMW
    get the man, its quicker and the CVT gets very boring.....Its to hard to change gears with the paddle shift when ur trying to turn and if u just rev the car to the limiter it just changes to the next gear for u so the use of paddle shift is???? lol

Just go get man....how i wish we had a man vti demo....
    im not biased, i just tell it how it is.

ahcash: well said bro! for me i got myself a manual! i guess it all come down to it personal preferences!

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    Autos are for girls....plain and simple

In 10 years do you still think an auto Jazz will command a $2000 premium over manual?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Not sure about AUDM Jazz, but does it have an S mode on the CVT? The sedan version of the Fit has an S mode where when you floor the accelerator, the revs shoot up to the peak power rpm and it holds it there while the ratios change in order to maximise acceleration. That alone might make it stand against other manual Jazz's.

Edit: It does have an S mode. When you test drive, try it out.
    Last edited by aaronng; 13-01-2006 at 11:12 AM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV Sport '05+Jazz GD3 04
    i have a cvt...its for lazy people..not for girls

its easy to thrash and is convenient for city driving..shame theres no cruise control...
    Quote Originally Posted by gReY-oNe View Post
    wat a luvo bad
    LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    pogi gets all the bitches
    Quote Originally Posted by i_own_you View Post
    *Pm me for teh gay links*
    My body is my weapon.

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    Convenient for city driving??? The Jazz clutch is one of the lightest things going...I could push it in with my pinky...hahaha

I was only stirring. but seriously, autos suck.

But that's just me...drive both and get what you like man. No one else gives a rats what you get because no one else has to drive it! (Well peeps from here anyway)

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    If you have only driven auto, then auto will be best. I went from auto to manual and cannot go back ever. I used a Subaru outback 3.0 H6 auto over the weekend and it was terrible. I preferred my manual. I bet that in 40 years I would be dying to switch back to auto.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTI-S
    If you can drive manual and other family memebers can without too much trouble get a manual it so much better.

Even with overtaking planting your foot down on the auto feels like you going nowhere, at least in manual your a bit faster, this also safety issue for me.

I drove the Jazz to litchfield in Darwin for a swim at the waterfalls , where you have long stretches or highway and long road trains 4 carriage long .....needed to overtake one droped it into 3rd and went for it, pick up was good by the time I past it I was doing 150kph from 100kph. I had a 2km view of clear road before I did this.
    "When the christmas light drops the b***sh*t
    stops"
    04 Jazz VTI-S
    99 WRX
    97 Lancer MR