Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about RIMs on my 94 CIVIC HATCH

Just wondering if i were to get 17" rims on my stock civic 94 hatch vti SOHC d16y1 ... will i need to change my stock springs and shocks? will i have any problems? im still new to the car scene!

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    for one...yes change ur springs , dont bother cutting em...as you'll onli destroy ur stock shocks...depending on how low you want to go...
    and lip your gaurds, so the 17z dont rub...

What do you mean by lip my guards? as in roll? .... also what will happen if i drive with the stock springs and shocks on my 17s?

if you have 17s on your car and standard springs it will look like a 4wd - i would get a nice set of 16's, springs and good shocks - 17s have given me too many head aches (only ever had the cheaper heavier 17s)

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    No, you shouldn't have any problems as such.

What will happen however is that the car will sit higher due to the rims. What others have suggested is changing your springs/shocks to lower the height of the car so it doesnt ride/look so high.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

So if i were to change the springs and lower my car will i need to change the stock shocks as well?

Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by mvpv82
    So if i were to change the springs and lower my car will i need to change the stock shocks as well?
    The short answer is, it depends on how low you want the car to sit.

They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

not that low probably 11-13cm off the ground

Car:
    Civic
    No, it is not so much that. It is how much will you lower the car from the height of the ride after you put on the wheels - ie once the wheels are on you want to lower it 2", 4" etc. If it is a large amount I am sure that most people will say change both springs and shocks. If it is a small amount some will say you are fine on your stock shocks (but it will lessen the life span of the shock). The other alternative is to replace both spring and shock to something that were made to suit each other.

thanks for the info what springs and shocks would you recommend if i were to get 17s

Car:
    Civic
    One of the main concerns is your budget. Rather than a shock/spring combo, you also may want to look into a set of coilovers.

It really depends on a number of factors including, budget, how much of a drop is required, is it purely for street use, how harsh a ride you want etc etc.

just want a smooth ride not so much street use ... coilovers is definitely out of the budget ... at most 2" drop or maybe a lil bit more ... any cheap branded shocks & springs you guys can recommend that are reliable and will last