Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Which PULP to use? Vortex or Optimax

I know this question have been asked many times already, but a search on this topic didnt yield much response.

I have drive a 98 Prelude VTIR that is pretty much stock apart from a MUGEN catback exhaust. I am pretty much after fuel economy as opposed to performance.

Where i live i am pretty much restricted to either Caltex/Woolworths of Shell. I do my groceries at Woolies so i am leaning towards Caltex fuel.

The options in PULP are
    *Votex 95 RON
    *Vortex 98 RON
    *Shell Optimax

I *may* be able to get BP Ultimate, but its a fair drive away so for this threads purposes, i am asking about Vortex versus Optimax.

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Type S
    if i was to choose between Vortex or Optimax... i'll pick Vortex 98 and any other fuel over optimax.

Optimax has additive to make it 98ron

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    I prefer to use BP Ultimate, but my second choise is Vortex 98.
    So personally i'd say go with the Vortex 98.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    I prefer to use BP Ultimate, but my second choise is Vortex 98.
    So personally i'd say go with the Vortex 98.
    Would it be bad to mix fuels?
    I would most probably use Vortex 98 while in Canberra and Ultimate when in Sydney.

Does vortex have any cleaning agents or additives like Optimax?

Member Array
    Car:
    2001 Prelude VTi-R
    I was using Ultimate all the time, but for some reason it disappeared from local servos (It's back now however) - for the meantime I used Vortex 98, and didn't notice any real difference between the two, in fact I think I got slightly better economy out of Vortex 98.

I'll be putting Ultimate in again now that it's back, just wish you could get a discount on it like Vortex (from woolworths caltex 4c/ltr off)

EDIT: and i've heard rumours that there will be a 100RON vortex released soon
    Last edited by Menthu Rae; 15-01-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by jaffa_cree
    Would it be bad to mix fuels?
    From personal experience - its NOT BAD to mix fuels, but it does affect economy and performance if fuels are mixed. I use BP ultimate 90% of the time. I only use Vortex 98 when i'm running low and not near a BP.. I find if i mix them my car lacks a bit of power, untill i run the tank down low and fill it back up with BP ultimate again.
    I dont notice any performance or economy difference between Ultimate and Vortex 98. I did however notice a slight lack of power when i was useing optimax .

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 VTi-R Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by Menthu Rae
    I was using Ultimate all the time, but for some reason it disappeared from local servos (It's back now however)
    I can answer this one. The catylitic reformer at the Perth plant broke down, and I believe that all of Australia's BP Ultimate is made here. There was a big fuss amongst perfromance car enthuisists in Perth, as BP Ultimate is the ONLY 98RON fuel we get, and many people have their cars tuned for 98RON fuel. (Once it ran out at our local servos, we found the trick was to drive to ghetto suburbs where they're too poor to afford Ultimate and fill up there :P ) I've been told that we only get BP Ultimate because trucking Optimax and the like over from the eastern states would make the cost of it insane - whether this is true or not I'm not sure.

I use BP Ultimate 98 exclusivly in my car, and 99% of the time chuck in a bottle of Wynns Race Formula Octane Booster too - I just chuck it on the fuel card
    Last edited by AMPERAGE; 15-01-2006 at 11:03 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Between Shell Optimax and Vortex98, I choose Vortex98. Shell Optimax has its bad days and I've experienced the engine retarding the ignition during hot weather with Optimax. No such occurrances with Vortex98. Ultimate is good as well, but not a big difference from Vortex98 that would cause me to stick religiously to Ultimate. I too find that Vortex98 gives better fuel consumption over Optimax and Ultimate. Not much difference, about a 30-40km difference per 55L refill (65L tank, I run til the light comes on at about 10L).
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Try hard CL9
    hey guys,

I dont hear you guys mentioning Mobil S8000 RON98. My car only ever uses Mobil but every once in a while BP Ultimate goes in just because i'm running low. I've never trusted Vortex98 or should i say never trusted Woolies/Safeway Petrol, And like hell would i put optimax in my car. I was talking to a mate of mine at work and they did some independent Research on all the fuel brand, I'll have to find that artical. Anyways BP and Mobil came out on top, Then Caltex/Woolies/Safeway and Liberty (with Boost 98) came second leaving shell to be the poor performer. I think this was university study so all tests were conducted in a lab. But never the less we've all got our own opinion on which fuels to use on each of our cars. Me I use Mobil S8000 or BP Ultimate.
    XpLoDiN
    AKA Johnno

[Melb] Team Y.C.D - The Dim Sum Revolution!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    All you can test for in the lab is the octane number. And that doesn't show the quality of the components in the fuel. Vortex98 is sold by Caltex here. No woolies/safeway petrol stations around my area.

Mobil8000 is ok too. I put it at the same level as Ultimate. But to me, and to my car, Vortex98 gives slightly better fuel consumption and a smoother engine. Mobil8000 and Ultimate also runs smoothly in my car, but the fuel consumption is similar to that of Optimax. Optimax runs rough in my car. Not too good.... eventhough my car is tuned for only 95 octane!
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    LOOKING FOR DC5
    I am always using Vortex 95 from woolies...From the sound of you guys, i will try out Vortex 98 or BP ultimate

Member Array
    Car:
    Try hard CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by shallot
    I am always using Vortex 95 from woolies...
    Vortex 95? Never heard of that one before, thought it was just ULP and thats it.

Oh oh wait, thats that new one thats in between ULP 91 and Vortex 98 when they pulled out Leaded petrol right?
    XpLoDiN
    AKA Johnno

[Melb] Team Y.C.D - The Dim Sum Revolution!