Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo

B16a Swap with Stock Brakes?

Hey ppl... I have a EH Civic Si Sedan with a B16a engine swap and I was just wondering if the stock brakes will provide enough stopping power for occasional spirited driving If not what brake upgrades would be recommended and rough price estimates would be greatly appreciated....

Thx in Advance

B20VTEC Build Thread

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    well the Si brakes are smaller than the VTIR/SIR brakes.
    they will provide you neuff stopping power in the street but dont count on em
    if your going to pang around abit.
    they will stop in the mean time
    but will wear out very quicly and possible damage some bits.
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    Swap in the Civic VTiR or Integra LS, GSi or VTiR front brakes, you will need the whole hub assembly from ball-joint to ball-joint. If they still not satisfy you, fit slotted rotors and some really good brake pads.
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhappy46
    Swap in the Civic VTiR or Integra LS, GSi or VTiR front brakes, you will need the whole hub assembly from ball-joint to ball-joint. If they still not satisfy you, fit slotted rotors and some really good brake pads.
    So I need to get the entire hub assembly? Cant I just swap the calipers and just buy some larger aftermarket rotors and pads to suit?

B20VTEC Build Thread

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    Hmm Im not sure if the brakes were swapped along with the engine.... is there anyway to find this out?

B20VTEC Build Thread

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Sedan w/JDM ZC
    measure the disc diameter.
    if they were upgraded to VtiR etc. brakes they will be 262mm in diameter.
    the stock Si ones are 242mm from memory

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    are hte Si brakes the same as VTi? cause i was just going to leave the stock brakes n get hi-per. brake pads and drilled and slotted rotors...
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    just look at your brake calipers, if there's a triangle sort of shape on the ends nothing has been changed. But if there isn't there they probably did the brakes as well.
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootbonzai
    just look at your brake calipers, if there's a triangle sort of shape on the ends nothing has been changed. But if there isn't there they probably did the brakes as well.

Hmm... triangle shape I dont understand what u mean... u wouldnt happen to have any pics of the different calipers? If anyone can post a pic of their stock Si or VTiR caliper that way I can indentify the caliper I have... Thx

B20VTEC Build Thread

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    You need the entire hub assembly because the caliper mounting points are different. I tried this on my VTEC conversion but you def need the right hubs to suit the caliper bolt pattern and to space the caliper out to clear the 20mm rotor diameter increase.

Si and VTi are the same brake rotor/caliper design but the larger brakes are awesome! Slotted rotors and good quality pads will improve braking performance a LOT!
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

Member Array
    Car:
    my06 wrx STi
    you need to upgrade front brakes to pass engineers

Member Array
    Car:
    Teal Mx5
    i still use stock Si brakes on my CRX after the b16 went in and doesnt brake good at all escpecially when braking at a high speed
    will definitly change mine soon if i can be bothered.
    Row row row your boat