Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Integra LS

B18C After Market Pistons

Hey guys, what is a good piston that will suit a stock b18c, all that i'm doing to this stock engine is getting pistons, i'm not heaps fussy about performance but a little higher compression couldn't hurt I want good solid reliable pistons that will give a bit more oomph than standard.. What say u?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda CRX Drag Cars
    If the engine is remain NA and fairly std i'd suggest just running the B18C Type R Pistons for a bit more comp.. cheap and reliable
    PRO FWD 9.07@161.48 FWD.. 04
    ALLMOTOR 10.83@123.23 NA FWD 05

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    Quote Originally Posted by online
    If the engine is remain NA and fairly std i'd suggest just running the B18C Type R Pistons for a bit more comp.. cheap and reliable
    Agreed, stick to the OEM pistons if your staying stock internals. Less hassle and more reliable. DC2 Integra Type R pistons are perfect, they will bump up compression a bit and should be fine with the standard internals.

+ 1 PQ point for you Online
    Check out my ED Civic progress here: http://edcivicracecar.blogspot.com.au/

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Integra LS
    sweet thx guys

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    i'd also consider a thinner head gasket since your going to that trouble.
    Perhaps even deck the head slightly, but remember to check piston to quench clearance (with the high cam enabled)

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    Quote Originally Posted by ProECU
    i'd also consider a thinner head gasket since your going to that trouble.
    Perhaps even deck the head slightly, but remember to check piston to quench clearance (with the high cam enabled)
    True, while the head is off and you are changing pistons, get a thinner head gasket (eg. Toda, Spoon, Mugen, etc..). This will bump up your compression a bit more too.

And +1 PQ point for you too ProECU

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    It's not necessary to remove the head to replace the pistons

+1 PQ to me

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    It's not necessary to remove the head to replace the pistons

+1 PQ to me
    It's not? oh well, you learn something new every day. How do you get to them then?

The only way I could think of would be to come from the bottom, which to me sounds harder and messier.

If you were just changing pistons, which way would be best?
    Last edited by ekslut; 25-01-2006 at 01:33 PM.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    Drop the sump, drop the crank.

Precedure is in the Honda manual I believe.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda CRX Drag Cars
    Drop the sump, drop the crank.

Precedure is in the Honda manual I believe.
    what the???????? we have houdini in the house hehe.. It would be physically impossible to drop a piston down through the bottom of the engine.. there is a nice big step on the bottom of the cylinder where the bearings are housed! oh and another thing, You also wouldn't be able to hone the block when putting the pistons in..
    PRO FWD 9.07@161.48 FWD.. 04
    ALLMOTOR 10.83@123.23 NA FWD 05

Member Array
    I was going to say!! You can't put the pistons in from the bottom. I wanted to but there's no clearance for the ring compressor! Also make sure to check bearings and clearances. I can't emphasize this enough. Also remember to check the stroke, a lot of people don't bother and then they wonder why things break or they have little/no compression. Basicly check the specs, measure twice! The Type-R will add .5 to the C/R and take you from a 10:1 to a 10.5:1. Then a gasket can add to that. If you are looking for about an 11:1+ then I’d do it with a CP or JE piston and that will cost about the same as a new ITR/CTR piston set. $450.00-$550.00 USD is average.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by online
    what the???????? we have houdini in the house hehe.. It would be physically impossible to drop a piston down through the bottom of the engine.. there is a nice big step on the bottom of the cylinder where the bearings are housed! oh and another thing, You also wouldn't be able to hone the block when putting the pistons in..
    hehe, yeah good point. (-1 RP for me)
    I thought it was a logical progression from the replacement of bearings in this way. I've obviosuly never done it.
    True on the honing, however, how many people here hone the block to install new pistons? i'd guess at not many.
    Last edited by ProECU; 25-01-2006 at 03:46 PM.