B18C Type R and VTi-R Intake manifolds

Am I correct in that the B18C non type R intake manifold has a dual intake length system on it?
    Where as the Type R doesn't?

I was wondering what the reason for this is? After having a look inside my intake manifold however I see those butterflies being quite restrictive even at full open position, so I am guessing the ITR doesn't have them for more top end power, in the expense of less low end?

Would it be a good idea to get rid of these butterflies for more top end??

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    *moved*

Take not this is integra specific so it is moved to the integra forum.

For low RPM to improve torque the butterflies create a longer path for the air. For high RPM power a shorter path is better.

But like you said at the end of your second paragraph.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    #28R
    The Vti-R has dual intake ports whereas the Type R has a single, it was done to improve high speed air flow.

I believe this also allowed peak torque to be at 7500rpm which is considered high but was done to compliment the hp peak at 7900-8000rpm.
    Last edited by kOncept; 27-01-2006 at 01:49 AM.
    ...the return of

So, would a VTi-R gain power with a Type R intake manifold? In the top end?

Or, what about using a VTi-R intake manifold, extrude hone, port etc the runners, cut off the plenum, get rid of the butterflies, remove about 3-4cm off the runners and weld a new plenum with bigger throttle body, would this be a good step for improving top end power?

Is it a common exercise to remove the butterflies on VTEC equiped cars with the variable length intake?

i was given some scary pricing for modifying a vti-r manifold.

i gained 7kw by changing from a stock vti-r manifold to a skunk2 manifold.
    i never actually hit the strip with the totally stock manifold, but i did try it out with bored and tapered vti-r manifold and ran at 94mph, went back again a couple of weeks later with the skunk2 manifold and ran at 96mph...
    And so it begins...

Member Array
    Car:
    #28R
    you wont be able to fit the Type R manifold on to the VTi-R head,

if you want something similar get the Skunk2 IM, pm dynodave for it.

No point modding the VTi-R manifold, for very little money you can get the skunk2 one.
    ...the return of

I'm just asking hypothetical questions to get a better idea,
    So, price isn't an issue as I don't even have a B18C I am just curious how the engines would respond to such mods

if it's a hypothetical, then the vti-r manifold seems to work okay if you invest a bit of time and money in to them. That erik's racing integra record breaker was using a modified vti-r manifold.
    And so it begins...

sorry dont want to hijack this tread buit these skunk2 manifolds are they itr copies?
    and how much are they? where to buy? etc

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    start a new thread in the WTB section

Member Array
    Car:
    ..S2000..
    ok.. lol.. sorry guys.. lets say.. which is would be the better then for a B18A1?? LS.. the type R manifold or VTiR.. because if the type R manifold is meant to be better up in 7900-8000RPM?? would that mean the VTiR would be better?? because the LS doesnt get up that high??
    ..VTEC YO!..

pure N/A all the way