Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro

Angry [EURO] Working airbags

I waited 3 years to buy my Accord Euro.

I had it for 4 weeks.

It had it's 1000 km service last Friday.

On Sunday afternoon:

While I was turning right from the main road to the side road of a T-junction, a bloke in a BA Falcon turning right from the side road completely failed to see the bright red car directly in front of him.

These weren't the types of photos I intended to post of my car!

At least I know the airbags work -- and I reckon they saved me from knocking my head. My wife in the passenger seat ended up more sore than me.

The car had to be towed because the suspension was all broken.

Seemingly it looks much worse than it is. I wasn't sure how much that corner of the car had been shoved (he got me right in the wheel which is better than in my door!) or how much damage to the mechanicals might have happened. I was almost hoping it was a write-off so I got a new car, but it can be fixed. It's a good repairer with an excellent reputation (I phoned a mate who used to work in the industry while at the side of the road!) and I trust his opinion -- but I probably won't have my car back before the end of February. He doesn't use third-party parts for any repair either...

I think I wasted my time washing it that morning!

BUGGER!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Tobster; 31-01-2006 at 11:55 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '06 CL9 + '07 FD
    stuff that . i'd push as hard as i can for a write-off ! . seriously i would not like to drive that thing after repairs knowing its suspension has been given a good hit . =(

sorry to hear that man...it hurts to see another euro in this condition. I know it won't be the same after it's been repaired...but heck..try to get a write-off if you can, u got nothing to lose, but knowing the insurance company, they'll do anything to repair it. good luck...

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by Butso
    stuff that . i'd push as hard as i can for a write-off ! . seriously i would not like to drive that thing after repairs knowing its suspension has been given a good hit . =(
    I thought that at first, but I'm feeling more comfortable with it now that I've been through the car with the repairer.

A car won't be written off until the damage bill gets to 75% of the car value -- or it just can't be repaired.

The suspension mounting area is all OK. This was what worried me most.

I'll end up with
    all new suspension on that corner,
    a new wheel,
    tyre will be checked -- if it's not OK, then new tyre,
    new door panel
    new front quarter panel
    new front bumper
    new headlight
    new roof lining (curtin airbags took that out!)
    replaced curtin airbag
    replaced seat airbag
    seat has to be fixed up (bag splits it open)
    new steering rack (if it needs it)
    and any other respray or fixing that's needed.

I thought it might be getting close to replacement value, but seemingly it's not as bad as I suspected -- and I know this bloke isn't dodgy and doesn't do things on the cheap.
    Last edited by Tobster; 31-01-2006 at 12:20 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Euro
    i'd push for write off....that looks really nasty, looks like the wheel is just sitting on the ground rather then attached tot eh car

A write-off would be nice just purely because the suspension and that whole steering will probably be not the same when repaired.

BUT guys, be realistic.......there's no chance for that to be a write-off so don't waste time telling Tobster to push for one.

I've seen worse where wheels fallen off and needed to replace brake disc and whole heap of other things and still does not get written off. The main thing is to make sure the chassis is lined up properly, with suspensions and steering adjusted to as close to stock as possible. Just remember even picking up the car after it's being repaired, you can still return the car to fix if you do find there is still problems. And if they still can't solve it, take it somewhere else until its fixed. And don't leave it too late so the insurance company have no excuse claiming that you damaged it after the repairs.

Bad luck Tobster.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord 2005 VTi Auto
    sorry to see your baby like thatTobster, btw how much use was the curtain and side airbags?

Member Array
    Car:
    05 Euro 6sp Mt & 02 CRV
    i share your pain. I crash my auto lux 05 when it had 1200kms on it.
    it was 4 weeks hold. I was going straight on the main road and this lady from the opposite side wanted to turn right just as i was crossing the Junction.
    I've got pretty much the same damage as you but on the other side of the car. Air bags popped out and all.

her insurance covered my repairs, i pushed for a write-off but never got it.
    total repair cost came out to $24000.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury
    yeah bad luck dude...if i were you i would sell the car when its fixed...and get another one..sure you have to lose some money...good luck with the repairs...bloody fords

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado
    Quote Originally Posted by industrie
    yeah bad luck dude...if i were you i would sell the car when its fixed...and get another one..sure you have to lose some money...good luck with the repairs...bloody fords
    I agree with accordoholic here, be realistic guys. I'm sure he doesn't have thousands of dollars sitting around to loose on depreciation and go buy a new car. If you read the first post he said it took him 3yrs to buy the car. So I'm sure he, like most of us don't have money to waste on a new car all the time.

Sad to see your car banged up that way. At least you and you're wife are ok which is all that matters. Cars can be replaced, people can't.

btw, after it all happened did you go off ya nut at the other driver? When I bought my new lancer 4-5yrs ago and just finished doing most of it up, some fool in a 4wd ute backed into me and I flew off the handles at him since I'd worked so hard to get it.

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux 5AT AB
    Tobster,

Sorry to see your misfortune. The other guy probably needs his eyes checked.

You seem to have found yourself a good repairer that you trust - that's important.

Demand nothing less than absolutely perfect repair job.

You might want to see if you can screw a hire car out of the other party's insurance as well.

Another consideration - does the other party's insurance offer lifetime warranty on the repairs? Does your insurance offer that?

Good luck with the repairs.

Ken

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    dam , thats just wrong.

glad to hear your OK. did just the side airbags go off, or did ya get the hamburger with the lot.

your misses looks pretty upset in the reflection of the door in the top photo.

hope it all works out for you, hope you get it back on the road sonner than later.