Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz GLi CVT

Unhappy "Thud" sound from rear area

Hi. This thread title does sound funny - like something else...

Anyway, this is another problem I've got with my Jazz GLi. It appears in the past few months & I've been unable to fix it or locate what is the source.

Every so often, when I drive and turn a corner or go over some minor bumps, there is a disconcerting & irritating "thud" sound from the back area of the car. As I am driving I cannot easily crawl back & find out what's the noise. And it does not always make that noise.

I've tried shaking the car up/down at the rear end (car not moving of course) and no sound. Give the shockies some up/down moving exercise but no sound.

What I did find is this: if I lower the back seat (the bigger panel, the "60" of the 60/40 split fold) right down onto the floor, the sound disappears.

I tried shaking this panel left/right and no sound. I check and confirmed that this rear seat is securely locked down (at the back & at the bottom), and the sound comes back.

It has something to do with the rear seat (the one diagonally across from the driver's seat) but I do not know what.

Anyone has this experience or solution? This is besides turning up the music and other silly suggestions.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG2, GD1, CL9
    interesting.. never came across anyone or any sites i've seen having this problem.

but from wat u discovered " What I did find is this: if I lower the back seat (the bigger panel, the "60" of the 60/40 split fold) right down onto the floor, the sound disappears." ..it may well be the seats..try see if all bolts/screws are tighten enuf. and also make sure when ur seats are up..they are lock on firmly as well. if u seem to find where to start and stop the 'thug' sound, u should soon find a solution.

good luck.

check that your spare tyre is secure as well. Mine wasn't in my old car and i ended up gettin new suspension for nothin!! hehe. So just check and make sure it can't move. Same thing for the jack as well

Could also be your seats. Sometimes they don't click in properly and can make a bit of noise but not normally a thud.

Good luck.

jase

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    I hear a niose from the back of the car too, a bit like there is a screw loose, but I can only hear it when going over bumps. The noise is present regardless of the position of seats.

Cannot figure out what's causing it.

Is it the rear left hand side??? cause I have that problem as well... It's annoying... Trying all weekend to figure out what it was... Just developed on Sat as well

Member Array
    Car:
    Former Jazz
    maybe your wheels are scrubbing?

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintessentiaLs
    Is it the rear left hand side??? cause I have that problem as well... It's annoying... Trying all weekend to figure out what it was... Just developed on Sat as well
    Yes, it does sound like it is from the rear left, but cannot quite pinpoint it. For me it developed a couple of months ago.

Yeah mines gone now... I played around with the back seat and noise gone hehe