Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    First week of driving a new one... ne ideas? some friends reckon u should hold every gear until redline... ohters reckon that screws the gbox... and redlining should only be done in 2nd gear upwards... some even say 3rd gear upwards...

ideas? stories? ....... hahahaha tragedies?

Member Array
    Car:
    Fridge
    Although I didn't do much launching when I had my EK4, the best method I found for launching was place it in first gear, keep the clutch in and rev it to 3500 - 4000rpm.
    when you wish to take off, don't dump the clutch, rather take your foot off it in one slow but swift motion that lasts like 1 second or so.
    use your right foot to keep the revs up as you reach the friction point, and when the clutch is fully out, use your right foot to regulate the accelerator so you dont get too much wheel spin, when you get traction, floor it.

Shiftpoints should be at redline in each gear. there is definately no problem with redlining it in any gear

hope that helps, and drive safely.
    Chris

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Redline........or just before you are going to hit your rev limiter
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Corolla G
    A little blue bottle

In the Si i launch at about 3500~4000, and do pretty much what Kit said.

If you want to do it the way you were told Ghost ... well ... have fun running like a slug revs need to be nice and high to get good speed gains faster out of the next gear, whether its 1st or 4th

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    or you could even launch the si at around 6.5K eh yonas!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Banned Array
    "and redlining should only be done in 2nd gear upwards... some even say 3rd gear upwards." That is probably correct when your talking about over shiloads of power eg:400+hp.
    In any Vtec, if you want a good launch you must redline each gear or wherever the peak power is. Because one of the Vtecs advantages is its ability to rev high and still have power down the end of the tacho 1st gear in an NA vtec is probably the most important gears out off all of them because it sets you up for 2nd and 3rd.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    ahhhh i getya... htanks guys... hahaha ops: i used to drive an auto accord... so not much of an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by **Ghost**
    ahhhh i getya... htanks guys... hahaha ops: i used to drive an auto accord... so not much of an idea...
    no worries mate, it aint like anyone is putting sh*T on ya, just helpin ya out

I drove an auto Holden Astra ... got manual Si in January and i was a piece of sh*t at manual ... now i am ok

its simple launch in vtec

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    nah.. u launch in VTEC,, u cop major wheelspin..
    i just launch at 3.5k - 4k.. just feather it.. practice makes perfect..
    i alwayz shift at redline.. if i dont.. the next gear i hit will be outta VTEC.

Ken
    VTEC+Turbo=dirty underpants

This question needs to be answered by Weezer.. He launches in VTEC mode and the car just takes off like a jet off the line.