Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VTi-R vs Type S

VTi-R vs Type S

Hay Guys,
    First off great forum, has been very useful in my several years off owning Honda's. Secondly I have just purchased a brand new Type S and must say I'm extremely happy with the car, and its a great upgrade from my VTI-R Civic Coupe. Now to the question, How will my car perform against a VTI-R Integra with I/H/E, and a standard DC2R?? Also, the car only has 1500km on the clock.. will it need more time before the engine will perform to its full potential??
    Thanks in advance,

I think it will perform ok, there was articile in one of the mages about all the integras, DC2 type R, DC5 Type R and Type S, the winner was DC2 type R but there were all close, it looks like DC2R is bit better performer so it was voted the best "R" ever.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    if your talking about raceing in a straight line (drag strip) you will probably just have it over the vtir, but the dc2r will have it over you...

Really comes down to the drivers though!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Once you hit 10,000km or so, the engine will be making more power than when new.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    A white one
    Congrats on your purchase, I have to admit the Type S is a excellent car. wait till she opens up a bit.

Member Array
    Car:
    got stolen
    Yeh the DC2R was built for street racing even tho honda wont say it but many will agree. DC5R was toned down a little bit but still good and id be happy to own either one.
    Honda should have kept the agressive look on the DC5R's when it built the Type S.

10,000kms? Are you serious?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Yes, high-cam engines that make peak power at high revs will make significantly more power after your engine is run in more. The less resistance in your engine, the easier to spin at high RPMs and more power is made. For normal engines that rely on brute torque, then the gains are less when run in because you don't as much extra torque as the engine is run in and the RPM at which power is made is low, so the smoother spinning engine is not taken advantage of.
    Last edited by aaronng; 28-02-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    Yes, high-cam engines that make peak power at high revs will make significantly more power after your engine is run in more. The less resistance in your engine, the easier to spin at high RPMs and more power is made. For normal engines that rely on brute torque, then the gains are less when run in because you don't as much extra torque as the engine is run in and the RPM at which power is made is low, so the smoother spinning engine is not taken advantage of.
    Thanks Mate,
    I was always under that impression and just needed a little reassurance.
    Although its not a Type R, the car still has that soul that seperates it from the crowd... A completley enjoyable driving experience... after all it is a Honda. Thanks for all your comments guys, much appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9, eg, n360,
    thats awsome i didnt kno that wit them engines that u get more power and it makes sense so it cant b bs

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It's more like your engine is tight when new because of the clearances. Not sure about Honda, but BMW dynos their engines at the factory after assembly so they make minimum of the stated power. Once the engine is run in, they make more power! That's why BMW engines feel so powerful. When brand new they are already making the power that they claim (opposite of toyota).

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9, eg, n360,
    lol i must have 300kw LMAO

my car has done 230 thousand kms lol

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Integra VTi-R
    I'm not sure if Honda engines are run in or not, but you probably shouldn't take them above 4000rpm untill you've done 500-1000kms. Then I wouldn't go above 5000 untill you've done 2000kms. I'd also change the oil regularly. I know that after a rebuild, it's allways a good idea to take it easy, otherwise you can easily damage the engine, due to everything being too tight. It needs to wear softly for a bit before it'll rev out nicely.

And yes, an engine wont make it's max power untill it's run in.
    Torino Red '94 DC2 Integra VTi-R :: 96fwkw @7300rpm & 138fwNm @4100rpm :: 0-100 in 7.3 seconds