Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: main relay

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    i'm going to borrow someones relay tomorrow and go for test drive. anyone want to lend me theirs?

does it need to be honda dc2 specific? or just any car? ek4?
    when do we hit vtec?

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    ek4 will do

check the ecu for codes

when it wont start, listen for the relay click
    could also be the ICM or coil. ( these may not register any codes in the ECU )

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin
    have u properly rebuilt the dizzy Eric ?
    Yeah sure does sound like a dizzy problem. My car was exhibiting the same problem which was caused by the dizzy coil.

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    fried ( Eric ) : try to get your dizzy rebuilt , test your igniter , coil , bearing , spark plug leads.
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

Member Array
    Car:
    going merry
    I had a similar situation (but not to your extent) as you a couple of months ago, my engine wouldnt turn on a hot day or after the car warms up a bit. I'm kinda lost around cars but I just do as my mechanic friend tells me.

What I was told to do was each time that happens just pull over aside then open the fuel line leading into the fuel filter and turn the ignition to on. It should be squirting a healthy amount of petrol everywhere. This test shows if the main relay is working properly or not thats why u need to do it when the problem happens.

Test for you dizzy, I'm not sure where you find the tool. Its a clip with a clear plastic window in the middle which you attach to your spark plug (any will do). When you've done that try starting the car and the spark should fire consistently and strong. I think that test shows that your dizzy is working properly or not.

If the sparks dont fire or doesnt fire consistently, you can take your dizzy out and send it off for testing cuz sometimes just the coil goes which is cheap to replace I think. I think I paid like $40 to test mine from some place in parra which I told told was the best to test dizzy.

Well long story short in the end it turned out my main relay was the culprit so I just replaced it. Like $100 or something.

I was told the thing that commonly goes on Hondas are the main relay, dizzy coil and rarely the computer. Mainly relay and dizzy being first to be testesd as those are the easiest and most common problem areas.

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    car stopped again today. cruising in 4th at about 55-60km/h.

things i noticed. i *think* the engine was still on at first, the revs just dropped to ZERO and had no throttle response., then the ENGINE CHECK LIGHT came on, then i pull over and i guess the engine stops when i halt. i cant be sure, cos im concentrating on not crashing into traffic around me.

i turn the ignition off. turn it back on, and im pretty sure i hear the fuel pump/pressure prime itself.

it COULD be me, but something i also notice is that everytime after i get the car started again, i notice later on that the CLIMATE CONTROL CYCLE INTERIOR AIR button is ON and pressed IN? i NEVER press that button, or use it. wtflip?

maybe it IS something to do with the dizzy? i got a major MAJOR service not too long ago (6000kms) and nothing was said about spark plugs needing replacement, and i did get new sparks.

it just frightens me to have to *try* and drive my car all the way to smithfield and have it stop in the middle of the road etc.
    when do we hit vtec?

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    My thoughts:
    Intermittent Fuel Pump?
    Fuel Filter clogged?(dirt settling back thru fuel lines once stationary)
    Dizzy as Bennjamin suggested.
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

im 87% sure its ur dizzy Eric.

Same thing happened to both my civics - car sturggles , stalls - dosent get any better.
    Ended up being igniter unit or coil module - overheats quick smart and just dosent work.
    $300 should see Unlce robert fix it up for u. Id take it to hannys (just the dizzy) and get him to test it...you can test it as mentioned - pull out one spark plug + lead , place it on the engine block or a bolt (to ground it) - get a friend to turn over the car and look for a spark - if its weak or not there theres a problem there somewhere.