Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    Hye my friend owns a EG SiR from japan (sedan)... yesterday he installed a short shifter kit (C's i think) and went for a drive...

APPRARENTLY, cos of the short kit, he wasnt really used to the location of the gears ( i tend to believe him cos he has been driving for a while) and when trying to hill start he accidentally hit third gear and revved for FOUR-EIGHTSECONDS around till he realised ...

HE got a lot of smell... and some smoke... just asking on his behalf to all u technical/bad experience ppl here... Any permanent damage? or just a heated clutch that will reform back into shape (at leaast roughly the same shape) when cool?> and damage to gear box?

i doubt damage to gear box
    most likely he smoked his clutch.. he shoulda just let it stalled
    oh well.. if its the stock clutch then it should still be alrite to drive around in cz its an organic clutch.. i think (dunno bout siR's)
    peace

Member Array
    Car:
    EK VTi-R
    wotu mean accidently hit 3rd gear, wot gear was he in before that instant???

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    hahaha HILL START and he was in neutral... THEN he goes and starts his car... but he accidentally puts into 3rd instead of 1st like u would normally... he didnt wanan stall... so he revved a fair bit...god bad smell...

how much did he damage his clutch? like would it need replacing in like 2 weeks or something

if its a real bad stinking burning smell that kinda filled up the car then yea its the clutch
    like i sed if its the stock clutch then it should be fine with normal driving
    and even then i'd wait til the clutch was really f00ked... do the clutch test
    put it in fifth wen ur doing bout 30 k's and floor it... if it revs like crazy then the clutch is on the brink
    cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Fridge
    Ghost,
    its ok, its not your gearbox, do you know how high the revs were when he was slipping the clutch?

it wouldnt cause any permanent damage, just wear out the clutch a bit.

after its cooled down try doing this:
    - on level ground, pull up the handbrake hard
    - then with the handbrake on, pretend you were taking off, and put in around 1500 - 2000 rpm and slip in the clutch in 1st gear.
    - the car should lurch forward but the handbrake will hold it back.
    - just try that in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, and just hold it for a couple of seconds, and see if there is any irregular jumping in the revs.

if the car just continues to lurch forward with no jumping in the revs (slipping of the clutch) it means your clutch is fine and isnt worn to a point where you need to replace it.

and even if it does slip a bit, you could probably drive around on it for a while anyway depending on how bad it is

if you're clutch is really worn, it will start to slip when you are driving (like say if you floored it in 1st gear, it may start to slip, once again by irregular rising of revs)

give that a go.

Member Array
    Car:
    Fridge
    Quote Originally Posted by vuvu
    if its a real bad stinking burning smell that kinda filled up the car then yea its the clutch
    put it in fifth wen ur doing bout 30 k's and floor it... if it revs like crazy then the clutch is on the brink
    cheers
    hey vuvu, where did you learn about that clutch test? i.e. 30kph and floor it in 5th, cos i've never heard of testing it like that before.

Snap Happy! Array
    Car:
    ER34
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    Quote Originally Posted by vuvu
    cheers
    hey vuvu, where did you learn about that clutch test? i.e. 30kph and floor it in 5th, cos i've never heard of testing it like that before.
    I've always testing in 60km/hr in 5th or 6th and floor it.
    This test is pretty common
    ClubITR.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    Fridge
    ok thats interesting. I've never heard of it being done that way before.

but after thinking about it I can see that it is a good test due to the high gear putting a load of stress onto the drive train, hence the weakest point (the clutch) will slip if its worn.

Snap Happy! Array
    Car:
    ER34
    lower rev's
    ClubITR.com.au

maybe 30k's is a bit slow
    just enuff so it doesn't stall.. but slow enuff so u can floor ur car and it'll pick up like 2km/h
    peace

Member Array
    Car:
    CBR250RR
    i have done all of the above, but my revs havent been jumping like crazy. only on this one night it has. the friction point is all the way out and one mechanic has said it is gone. but it passes all listed tests?