Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK Vti-R

Which material best for CAI?

Hey all,
    Im going to DIY a CAI on the weekend. I was thinking of using that black, ribbed tubing that you can get from Bunnings. Not sure if it was on https://www.catalogueau.com/bunnings/ but there might be a chance. Ive read a few posts that suggest they're no good for air flow? Can anyone suggest any other kind of tubing that i can use? I know some people have used PVC piping. But apart from PVC, is that black piping my only option?

Thanks
    Brian
    Last edited by ludecrs; 17-02-2024 at 05:28 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    I wouldn't use either of those. the ribbed tubing is horrible for air flow, and pvc pipe emits horrible gasses when it's heated.

Get some metal piping, and go to town... something that absorbs as little heat as possible

Quote Originally Posted by saxman
    Get some metal piping, and go to town... something that absorbs as little heat as possible
    aliminium home a/c pipping works well, it's flexible air flow is most decent compared to the bunnings pipping you're referring to.

if you wanted something more, you can get monza pipping.

Quote Originally Posted by saxman
    I wouldn't use either of those. the ribbed tubing is horrible for air flow, and pvc pipe emits horrible gasses when it's heated.
    btw, what "horrible gasses", i've seen alot of people use pvc pipping for CAI and also as an intake arm.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Hmmm
    PVC? Thats polyvinylchloride... which means your horrible gas may be chlorine. And that sh*ts nasty! I've seen lots of ppl slammin their rides to the floor... I still wouldn't do it. Get something that works better- something designed to be in an engine bay/high temps. Aluminium, with a rubber connector to your CAI. Are you building just the housing, or the whole thing???

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic
    Aluminium piping, powdercoated is even better

AEM has theirs powdercoated.

Or you can heat wrap it if you really want to keep the heat away.

Having a smooth tubing with minimum bends would be your aim. Companies also tune the bore and length to increase response, power, noise and more, but thats a lil hard to diy

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic
    what happen to stockest ek?
    i told u man u cant buy a civic to leave it stock
    thats just gay
    they're the biggest rice car
    thats why they have sooo much after market stuff!

just use the flexi pipe man, dont use the bunnings one cause it has small holes... the monza one should do cause you just want to draw cold air in to the pod anyway.. its ur pod already causes all kinds of wierd turbulance so who cares what kinda pipe u use..

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    carbonn fibre!

else alluminium with heat proof paint
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Account Disabled Array
    Bunnnig sells this aluminum tube (100mm)... its awesome, can bend and stretch so easily.... it goes for roughly $20....

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    I'd use steel before aluminum personally... aluminum loves to transfer heat.

If you're going to use aluminum, I'd paint it inside and out with a ceramic based paint and/or heatwrap it

where would i get heat wrap? and how much?

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    heatwrap u can get from any auto one or repco - similar stores as well.
    from memory, i paid about 80-90 bucks for approx 15m....i think...it was a while ago...
    but theres a rough figure for ya
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."