Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Honda lose out to Toyota

Not quite sure when the contract starts... but a shame none the less...
    althought the revamped Fuji Speedyway should be a decent replacement...
    Honda lose Japanese Grand Prix to Toyota

By Phil Huff - March 13 2006

Honda have lost the Japanese Grand Prix, historically held at the company's own Suzuka circuit, to rivals Toyota and their Fuji Speedway circuit.
    Bernie Ecclestone is claimed to have signed a 'multi-year contract' with Fuji Speedway. Toyota-owned Fuji Speedway, which was home to the Japan Grand Prix for 10 years before the race moved to Honda-operated Suzuka in 1987, was reopened in April last year after a two-year revamp which saw significant changes to the circuit.

Suzuka Circuitland president Ikuo Shimizu confirmed that the circuit would like to continue hosting an F1 race, telling the Yomiuri Shimbun: "I'm not surprised at all because I had heard the rumour. I'm going to keep on negotiating."

Ecclestone left open the possibility of Japan holding a second Grand Prix, given that there are now three Japanese teams racing in the series. However, with Italy and Germany both looking set to lose their second races, running a second Grand Prix in Japan would look unviable.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    EF8: i call her EFFY
    i believe they should hold 2 jap races. Suzuka is a great track always great overtaking and drivers need balls to take some of the corners.
    Fuji would be great, really be able to see what car handles and definatly overtaking at the end of the extremely long front straight.
    Bring on 2 jap gps i say.
    And Good riddance to imola and hockenhiem. Imola took the greatest driver from us should have been closed back then. And the new hockenhiem has no spirit no character. The old circuit and the speed was what made it so special.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Legend KA9
    I personally believe that Suzuka is the best track in the world, a very technical circuit and who can forget when Alonso made that move on Shumi at 130R??

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    first toyota block honda from getting a podium finish..
    and now this happens..
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeR
    Ozhonda mods don't sleep, they wait.

uji to host the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix
    Suzuka hopes to continue discussions
    15/03/06 09:38

Toyota own Fuji
    Bernie Ecclestone has told a Japanese newspaper that Fuji, not Suzuka, will host the country's Formula One grand prix next year.

In the Yomiuri Shimbun, the 75-year-old F1 supremo was quoted as saying that Fuji - owned by Toyota - had convinced him to take the race away from Honda-owned Suzuka, home of the Japanese Grand Prix since 1987.

The newspaper said the deal was for multiple years, and does not include the possibility of a second Japanese race, such as a 'Pacific' or 'Asian' GP.

“I'm not surprised at all,” said Suzuka boss Ikuo Shimizu, who travelled to Bahrain for talks with Ecclestone, “(but) I'm going to keep on negotiating.”

E.A.
    Source GMM

Each GP pays Bernie something like $30 million (not from the gov)
    The GP's only get revenue from Ticket Sales and ..........(gone blank I'll think of it)
    They don't get any money from there government, commercial rights, track side advertising.
    This is why Germany is only going to have 1 GP soon, Spa is gone (for this year) and why Japan won't have 2 races.

P.S. I hope Japan does, good timezone for us.

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Integra VTiR
    what you talking about j3z3z, imola is one of the better tracks, up and down, twists, great corners and setting... but i agree with Hockenheim, they killed it when they shortened it.

And whether it is a good track or not has nothing to do with whether they get a gp, its all about how much money they want to pay Bernie, which is why i reckon Bernie needs to go!
    ALL WITCHES' HATS MUST DIE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by underc35a
    I personally believe that Suzuka is the best track in the world.
    Obviously you haven't seen/heard of Spa-Franchamps.
    After that, on the calender (current tracks) Istanbul is one of the best.
    I'm not saying Suzuka is no good, just not the best.

Here is a fact for you.
    The Monaco GP pays no fee at all to Bernie.

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Integra VTiR
    Spa = The Ultimate track...... which is why it not being there is proof of the quality of track having no bearing on whether it gets a race, its all bout $$$$.

Monaco would be the only one that could get away with that i reckon.....
    ALL WITCHES' HATS MUST DIE!!!!!

Bernie.. greedy m*********r.. n never looks happy when i see him on tv...

There is no freaking way they're taking my favourite (and many peoples') track out.

I'm going to boycott F1 if they do that, seriously. This is a very technical track, really shows driver judgment.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    EF8: i call her EFFY
    spa of the current tracks is the best yes but its a no show this year. imola to me is well past its use buy date "1994" that leaves the only 2 tracks on the calender this year that i like as being MONZA (history and speed) and ISTANBUL (the nice complex for the shit driver). I wish the old Nurburgring was still in use as a F1 Track the new one is no substitute. Hungary needs to be removed ASAP and the rest are old news just waiting their time