Prelude with Oil leak - should I buy?

Guys,

I'm looking at Prelude Si 1998 Manual with 117km on the clock for $10,5k.

The test drive went well so I applied for an independent vehicle check and this was the most concerning find:

- "Visually inspected motor of vehicle and oil leaks were found at top and bottom end of motor. Oil leaks were found around timing cover and also to engine sump. Oil was slightly dripping onto the floor. A slight intermittent noise was also heard to motor on start up. Note: Air filter box at bottom has been pulled out. Vehicle was road tested in a 50km/h speed limit zone.

NOTE: Oil leaks cannot be detected if they are cleaned before inspection. For a proper engine test, all engines should be cold."

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Stay away from that car. More trouble than it is worth. When you add the cost of replacing every seal and this is assuming that you are not getting blowby which is pushing the seals out, the cost of the car + repairs could come up to the price range of a BB6 VTIR!
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

wow si for 10.5k, can pick up a vtir for that much..
    FS: BMW E60 04' 530i

Member Array
    Car:
    99 vtir prelude
    ^^^ agreeed, not worth the trouble, by urself a vtir instead with that amount of cash. I've found my bb6 chews alot of oil (though si might be more efficient on oil usage), the last thing you'd need is a oil leak. since I've owned her the only leak I've had was a minor one from my vtec solenoid gasket, cant remember how much it was to repair but it wasnt cheap and adding up the seals/gaskets are a pain plus labour not worth the hassle for a si.

there are plenty around for sale i'd check out a few more first!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    I reckon there should be a right lane, a middle lane, a left lane and a Nikki lane.....
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    look at its headlights.

if its pupils have gone massive, you know its pinging
    >_<"

Member Array
    Car:
    99 vtir prelude
    I reckon there should be a right lane, a middle lane, a left lane and a Nikki lane.....
    look at its headlights.

>_<"

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Stay away from that car. More trouble than it is worth. When you add the cost of replacing every seal and this is assuming that you are not getting blowby which is pushing the seals out, the cost of the car + repairs could come up to the price range of a BB6 VTIR!
    What if the seller gets the fault fixed? Should I re-consider?

Thanks for the input. I've been monitoring those cars and would only consider the first two seriously, but they are a bit out of my price-range

Buying a car is stressful and would appreciate some advice.

I normally test drive the car and if I feel the transmission is smooth with no vibration in the steering or clutch then I inspect the body for damage, then the engine for abnormal noise, rattles and smell. I then take a look at the logbook and when I'm happy, get an indepedent check. REVs check will probably be the last thing I do before I buy.

Do you guys recommend independent checks?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Infusion View Post
    What if the seller gets the fault fixed? Should I re-consider?
    No, the fact that numerous seals are gone and leaking oil indicates that the owner did not take care of this particular car. It could be an indication for many other faults caused by neglect that are still not detected.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

even if the owner fixes the faults. other problems will arise because the owner neglected it. end up being a money pit because you're always in need to fix it.
    Who's your messiah now!

Member Array
    Car:
    99 vtir prelude
    ^^^ soOoo true, you have to ask why the hell were all these seals leaking for in the first place and WHY it took him up untill now to fix them and HOW long they have been leaking! Shows dissrespect to the car, owner obviously didnt take care of it too well, maybe you should ask yourself is there a bigger problem beyond oil leaks to the reasons this guy is selling?

Also everytime I've gone to inspect a car I take this sheet:

http://autos.msn.com/advice/articles/aischecklist.aspx

You may feel a bit dorky with it lol but at least you can do a thorough inspection on her and suss out if its worth paying extra for a professional to do it if it doesnt meet your standards on the paper
    look at its headlights.

>_<"