Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2006 VW Jetta FSI Turbo

[Euro] LED taillights & angel eyes

I have been thinking recently about having a go at converting tailights to LED myself like the ones the guys have been working on in the US. It shouldn't be too difficult with my electroincs background. The only problem I can see will be how to work on them without taking the car off the road. This led me to start thinking about trying something easier first, how about angel eyes made from white LED's? This would be less complicated as you don't have to worry about the complication of working out intensity for braking and normal tail lights. The other benefit is that would not need to be the super bright LED's needed for the tailights. This makes it a bit cheaper as well.

What do you guys think it would look like to have a ring of white LED's around the head lights as angel eyes? I assume the more there are would give the impression of a solid light rather than a ring of white dots.

The only other problem is that I have not looked into the logistics of getting into the headlight assembly or how to actually mount the LED's. Just a thought for now.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Nah not a fan of angel eyes at all. See pics here:

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/show...6&page=2&pp=25

But - the rear LED lights look great! If you want a good business idea and can make these plug and play - there it is right in that photo. I reckon at the right price you could sell 100s easily and that is just for this model.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29618

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 VW Jetta FSI Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    Nah not a fan of angel eyes at all. See pics here:

But - the rear LED lights look great! If you want a good business idea and can make these plug and play - there it is right in that photo. I reckon at the right price you could sell 100s easily and that is just for this model.
    I know, that was what I was thinking. It's got to be cheaper to do it here in OZ than to ship from US and get someone to fit and if I can make some money as well then a bonus. Also, as you mentioned, the circuitry part would be standard across any car, it's only the LED layout and mounting that would be different between cars. I have already started looking into what would be needed and am waiting for prices on the circuitry needed to do it properly.

The only reason I was thinking of the angel eyes is coz I think it would be easier to start with. I'm sure there are lots out there that would like it as well and for any car.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 VW Jetta FSI Turbo

Question about LED layout

What does everyone think of the single ring of LED's for the brake/tailight in the US version? Personally I think it looks a little weird. Maybe two or three rings would look better.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 VW Jetta FSI Turbo

Need taillight assembly to play with

Does anyone know of any wrecked Euros that have the taillight assemblies intact? This would help speed up the process. I can imagine what a new set from Honda would cost.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    I think it looks ok and an extra rings light up (on outside light) when you hit the brake pedal.

I do hope you look into this further Hoffy - one question that needs to be answered is whether it can be made 100% legal.

As for tail lights from wrecked Euros - try ebay - (example). The reflectors from the TSX are slightly different in colour but that doesn't really matter for your testing I guess.

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro 6mt
    yer i think the led tail lights look good! i want sum =D ill b on the buy list when u start sellin haha

damn that pic makes me want a spoon spoiler!

led taillights are pretty sweet tho! just not sure if id ever really spend the money on it, and youd have to find out if they are legal

Member Array
    Car:
    M3 F80 RC1 MY16
    look so nice

i want the spoon spoiler too

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro 6mt
    haha i want it too now =( lol

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 VW Jetta FSI Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    I do hope you look into this further Hoffy - one question that needs to be answered is whether it can be made 100% legal.
    Having a look on the net I would say that as long as whatever I do meets the following ADR's then it should be legal:

ADR1 - Reversing Lamps
    ADR6 - Direction Indicator Lamps
    ADR49 - Front and Rear Position (Side) Lamps, Stop Lamps and End-outline Marker Lamps

I couldn't find any details on the ADR's so it looks like I will have to fork out the $70 to buy the ADR CD-ROM. The LED's shouldn't be a problem as there are models out there that come with LED taillights as standard not to mention all the trucks that have them.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    some info here but not the complete standards.

VSI 10 is problematic as it refers to lab tests usually being required to demonstrate compliance of a particular lamp