Page 43 of 153 FirstFirst ... 33404142434445465393143 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way
    Car:
    Honda Accord Euro (LUX)
    Michelin Pilot Preceda

Fantastic performance and a all round weather performer.

They retail from about $185

Available for 15"-19"
    Last edited by ShAwNeX; 21-11-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord EURO 2004

KISS Principle

Hello Everyone,

Took me ages to go through every response on this thread.

My current OEM Dunlops 205/55R16V91s are on their last month or so (done 50,000 Kms) and am looking for replacements. I do mainly city and freeway driving (90%) with the occassional country run (10%). Stopping power and wet grip is non-negotiable. The Dunlops were not fancy but they held their own under most normal driving conditions.

Mine is a lease car so am limited to my choices of preferred suppliers. From what I have read, surfed,etc., I am kinda narrowed to the following:

Bridgestone SO3s ($265ea)
    Bridgestone G3s ($230ea)
    Bridgestone ER30s ($280ea)
    Continental CSC2s ($220ea)
    Yokohama C.Drives ($220ea)

I think some of these prices are negotiable as they seem steep (ok ridiculous) when I read your comments.

I had some Yokis (A539s I think) on my old commodore and they were great, but had to replace them after only 35,000Kms! If the C.Drives are the A539 replacement, I am loathed to buy them. I am told the SO3s will fall into same category.

I like my next set of tyres to be better than the OEM Dunlops but to get at least 40,000kms out of them. From what is left, it looks like I am down to CSC2s and the G3s. Anyone like to give me their opinion on these?

Should I have considered other brands? I am a bit of a Bridgestone, Yokohama and Michellin bigot but am prepared to hear your opinions.
    Last edited by fortec@sprint.net.au; 28-11-2006 at 03:13 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    i was told some YOKOHAMA tyres was good but forgot the model...
    currently using POTENZA GIII's 205/55/15...good in most conditions but gets a lil noisy when there isnt much grip left on it.but overall its good for day to day driving with a occasion of some wheelies...S03's arent bad too but dont actually know cos i havent tried it before

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    C.Drives have a wear rating of 300 now. What was the wear rating on the A539 that you had? I have C.Drives on our Astra, and they are good and silent. In terms of grip, it's better than the Dunlop 2050m that you have, and in the wet, the Dunlops are no challenge at all.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

advise needed

I need advise on quieter/ smoother 17" tyres. My current nankangs 205/45 have way too much road noise..

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord EURO 2004
    The Yokis I had was not the A539s. They were the A509s. Yeah, that was a while ago. The A509s were awesome until I done about 35,000Kms. Then the rubber compound harden so it was like driving on roller skates.

I went to the Bridgestone GR50s after that. They were competent but nowhere as good as the A509s. Then again I got good mileage out of the GR50s. So it is always a bit of a compromise between performance and wear.

Anyway, what does a wear rating of 300 mean? I love the looks of the C.Drives but don't fancy parting with $900 (include a wheel alignment) for tyres that will only last 18 months

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Wear rating of 200 supposedly translates to about 55,000km. I doubt the C.Drive with 300 would 1/3 longer as the rubber would harden first. But it won't be as short as 24 months.

BTW, for Yokos, try calling up Tyrepower for quotes.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord EURO 2004

Wear Rating

So the higher the rating, the longer they wear? Therefore a 300 rating would supposedly mean one should get something in excess of 55,000 Kms (rating of 200)? Or at least make it to 55,000 kms? Where is this stuff published?

The best I ever got on a set of tyres was 60,000 kms. I cannot remember what brand they were but they were not great, otherwise I would have remember them! I have now developed a habit to closely examine tyres once they have done 40,000 kms and just replace them outright if and when they make it to 50,000 kms.

If the C.drives have a rating of 300, almost assuring that I can get 45 to 50,000 kms, then they just creeped back into consideration. I read on the Tirerack web site that the Continental CSC2s are more of a dry weather tyre so I may just steer away from them

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Basically, you can expect a 300 rating tyre to last twice as long as a 150 tyre as long as the driving conditions are the same and the alignment is perfect.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord EURO 2004

Ripper Web-site

This is a fantastic web site. Sure explains a heck of a lot of stuff.

Where does the rating of 300 for the C.drive come from?

BTW, Tyrepower is not one of my leasing company's preferred suppliers. But Bob Jane is and they can supply the C.drive at @220 each. I would anticipate to pay something less than that thru the buying/referral power of the leasing company

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It's printed on the tyre sidewall. I'm running a set on one of our cars.

I was quoted $188 for C.Drive 205/55 R16 at Claremont Tyrepower.

Bob Jane Bondi Junction wanted $205 fitted and balanced.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord EURO 2004

KISS Strikes Again

LOL.

Yes, that is one way to find out the rating. On the actual tyre itself - Doh!

I am just about sold on the c.drives now.

Those sound like really good prices. I also now have reference points to go and negotiate. Will let you know how it pans out