Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop

ED9 '91 CRX B18C swap

Hi all,
    Been thrown in to the deep end on this due to D16A8 timing belt failure.
    So made a quick decision to attempt the B18C swap.A lot of the info I'm searching seems a little outdated,as I realise a lot of these swaps have been done of late.
    The only half cut I could find on such short notice was a JDM DC2 teg with Y80 tranny & P72 ECU,so I realise I have some issues ahead....
    Waiting for Hasport EFB2 mounts to arrive and was wondering has anyone had any experience with this kit.Such as,
    -do i get to keep my original hood(with timing bump) as i prefer it over the JDM version.I realise the B18 is higher than B16?
    -what mods have to be made to keep A/C and Pwr/Steer?
    Can I do a brake upgrade from this model teg?
    Also any advice on suspension components(particularly axles) & currently available headers would be much appreciated.
    Actually any advice at all..............
    Sorry if any of this is out of order.Time is really against me & my wallet right now
    I will update this thread with any current info as I encounter it,so as to help anyone else having trouble searching this specific topic as I did.

Update 1 (18/5)

Ok guys/gals,finally got the Hasport kit from Full-Race after extensive delays,their online store went down for an upgrade,they lost my order,blah,blah.......,but had no probs accepting my money,go figure???

In the meantime i decided to rewire the car myself.I basically cut the wiring required out of the teg harness & adapted it to the crx making the engine plug & play.Didnt take as long as i thought,did it casually over a weekend.Threw in the teg cluster while i was at it.But more on that later as there are more pressing issues!

Got a mechanic dropping in the engine for me,and he called today to tell me the mounts dont line up.
    I purchased the EFB2 kit along with hasport rear engine bracket & passenger side engine bracket.

Has anyone else used this kit & these engine brackets for a B18C,Y80 combo before?
    As u can see from the photos below the tranny mount has to drop down and with the rear bracket in place,im thinking the engine will twist slightly bringing the timing side bracket into line.He says he has tried everything.

Who is right? Should i tell him to try a bit harder?Is this a Y80 issue?Have i been supplied the wrong brackets/mounts?Is this just another US manufacturing/tolerance/reliability issue like i encounter in my everyday job?Sorry i'll stop now b4 i offend anyone else............getting impatient.

Would really appreciate your thoughts
    Last edited by CRXer; 18-05-2006 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Updated

Moderator Array
    Car:
    s2k,ED,EG
    from memory i cant remember if there is any room for A/c with b18c its just so tight but sum1 can correct me on that

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    You can swap the front brakes hub assembly over, which is quite easy.

The B18 block should sit lower in the engine bay(ie sump closer to ground) so should clear the bonnet easily enough.

Only hassle will be wiring and converting the OBD-0 to OBD1 or OBD2.
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Si
    you need to realise that the ED's came with cable clutch. i don't know is Y80 is hydro or cable, but if it's out of a DC2 it'll probably be hydro.

it can be done, i think some modifications to your firewall, or you could use a B-series gbox out of the EF8/9 or DA8/9. those had the B16A cable clutch boxes, don't know if you can use a B16 box for a B18C engine..

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    hey i did my conversion b18c into 89 crx i lost my a/c but i still have power steering. but my engine is hittin the bonnet atm still gettin that fix.

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    HASport also supplies a Hydraulic to Cable clutch conversion kits of late... might be a good idea to get one of those and save yourself the hassle of a conversion?

Bonnet should be good - considering that Hasport has redeveloped the mounts to sit the engine lower in the bay - therefore avoiding the bonnet hitting the rocker cover.

Are you getting a conversion harness as well?
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by SINISTR
    HASport also supplies a Hydraulic to Cable clutch conversion kits of late... might be a good idea to get one of those and save yourself the hassle of a conversion?

Bonnet should be good - considering that Hasport has redeveloped the mounts to sit the engine lower in the bay - therefore avoiding the bonnet hitting the rocker cover.

Are you getting a conversion harness as well?

hey i have the hasport kit in my car and my bonnet still hit the engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    All i know is there were two sets of kits... and 'old' kit and 'new' kit. with the old kit the engine hit the bonner and then they made changes.

Perhaps you still have one of the 'old' kits?
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Y80 is a hydro transsmision/clutch. Y1 is cable.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1991 Honda CRX Si
    hey guys im intrested in doing a b18c conversion to.. does any1 know or can point me in the right direction to obtain an engine .. ive done a search and i can only find imlach and they want a arm and leg.. .....

Pok

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Updated 1st post,would appreciate ur comments

Member Array
    Car:
    Oldschool EF
    hi can i ask how much+ where u got those hasport mounts from
    is it a direct order from their website?
    cheers