Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    mind you this is just my thoughts as to why some coilovers allow seperate preload and height adjustment, i could easily be wrong.

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    Very intresting. Sounds like you could pretty much be on the ball there Muzz. I got a reply from Zeal, and their preload is set a zero. So it actually doesn't come pre-loaded.
    Check out my ED Civic progress here: http://edcivicracecar.blogspot.com.au/

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    to sum up whats explained - not sure if im correct here but this is what i make of it:

from Muzz's explanation:
    no preload (spring can extend when weight is reduced) - when corning this would push the light corner up causing more body rolls??

BUT - take into consideration... alot of old type coilovers use really hard "short" springs and an assist spring.. the assist spring shouldnt be strong enough to push the vehicle higher in a roll and is simply used to keep the spring in place.

and also.. if your springs were preloaded so much ...it wouldnt have intial roll causing signifcant negtive travel in the oposing corner..

jsut my thoughts
    Last edited by BlitZ; 07-04-2006 at 02:33 PM.
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitZ
    BUT - take into consideration... alot of old type coilovers use really hard "short" springs and an assist spring.. the assist spring shouldnt be strong enough to push the vehicle higher in a roll and is simply used to keep the spring in place.
    When cornering, the weight on the inside wheels is reduced yes.
    basically if u have a coilover, assist spring or not, that compresses slightly from the weight of the car on it at rest, it will also extend (negative travel)when the weight of the car on that wheel is reduced ie, cornering.
    The only time it wont extend during cornering, is if it dosn"t compress at all from the cars weight at rest.
    a reduction in weight = extention of spring from origional compressed state.

and also.. if your springs were preloaded so much ...it wouldnt have intial roll causing signifcant negtive travel in the oposing corner..
    say the car has 280kg of preload pushing up, the weight of that corner is say 290kg (preloaded HEAPS), that means when the car is placed on the ground the coilover units will compress as though 10kg of force is being applied to them (280kg preload upwards + 290kg downwards = 10kg force downwards).

Early on during cornering say the weight on the outside coilover increases from 290kg-295kg, that extra 5kg weight will go straight into compressing the coilover (280kg preload upwards + 295kg downwards = 15kg force downwards).

the weight of the car at rest has already overcome the preload, so compresses as normal during cornering. so any extra force goes straight into compressing the unit.

just my thoughts
    Last edited by Muzz; 10-04-2006 at 04:55 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz

say the car has 280kg of preload pushing up, the weight of that corner is say 290kg (preloaded HEAPS), that means when the car is placed on the ground the coilover units will compress as though 10kg of force is being applied to them (280kg preload upwards + 290kg downwards = 10kg force downwards).

Early on during cornering say the weight on the outside coilover increases from 290kg-295kg, that extra 5kg weight will go straight into compressing the coilover (280kg preload upwards + 295kg downwards = 15kg force downwards).

the weight of the car at rest has already overcome the preload, so compresses as normal during cornering. so any extra force goes straight into compressing the unit.

just my thoughts
    yeah but your spring would only compress like 1-3 mm if u had 10kg/mm springs.. which is like virtually no body roll.. and only 1-3 mm of negative travel in oppsing corner.

All im getting a :-

you cant preload the coilover equivalent or close to the mass of the vehicle...

If preloading the spring is used so negative travel is capped.. its pointless your wheel would simply get lifted from road contact.

and how would preloading solve the above issues (dual coils)
    Last edited by BlitZ; 10-04-2006 at 05:08 PM.
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    Ok it was an example to explain the effects of MAXIMUM preload. Im shur no one uses this amount.

if your springs were preloaded so much ...it wouldnt have intial roll causing signifcant negtive travel in the oposing corner..
    i assume that ur saying body roll will be delayed by upping the preload.
    i was trying to explain that even with almost max preload, the bodyroll would
    begin the second that weight transfer starts begining, as with no preload.

yeah but your spring would only compress like 1-3 mm if u had 10kg/mm springs.. which is like virtually no body roll..

and only 1-3 mm of negative travel in oppsing corner.
    yes the weight of the car would only compress the units 1mm (10kg/mm spring), while the car is at rest.
    dont go thinking this is the max amount of bodyroll, its totally unrelated.

yes there would only be 1mm of avalable negative travel.

but there would stilll be body roll as normal.
    say during cornering 50kg is transfered onto the outside wheels.
    with a 10kg/mm rate thats 5cm the outside units will compress, while on the inside they can only extend 1mm.

All im getting a :-

you cant preload the coilover equivalent or close to the mass of the vehicle...
    yeh agreed

If preloading the spring is used so negative travel is capped.. its pointless your wheel would simply get lifted from road contact.
    not quite right, but i can see why u might think this.

car = 1000kg (250kg per corner)
    during a corner, 100kg of weight transfers from inside wheels to outside (50kg each).

no preload - inside coilovers extend 5cm outside ones compress 5cm, inside weight = 200kg outside weight = 300kg

max preload - inside coilovers extend 1mm outside ones compress 5cm, inside weight = 200kg outside weight = 300kg

the weight on the wheels wont change between the situations.
    The only reason in the 1st example that the outside raises up alot higher, is cause the coilover is pushing the ground and the car apart. even without this force the weight down on the wheel will still be the same.

and how would preloading solve the above issues (dual coils)
    sorry i dont quite understand what issues?
    Last edited by Muzz; 10-04-2006 at 07:46 PM.

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140616_121908.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	27076[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1398638867473.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	27075

I fitted coilovers on my 2005 civic hatch and have an issue with outer tie rod end.
    The hole for the outer tie rod end on the coilovers is bigger than OEM which causes the outer tie rod end bushings tear away.
    Was told from shiftperformance that DC5 outer tie rod end will fix this issue.
    Can anyone confirm please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140616_120025.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	297.5 KB 
ID:	27077  
    Last edited by tangyoonee; 19-06-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Epic Thread revival!!

Wonder how the OP's crazy track car turned out?

Wonder if he ever learnt the concept of rebound / droop?