Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '95 Civic EG VTi hatch

Time for a new clutch

My clutch is about to give up so I'm trying to decide Exedy heavy duty or Honda standard for the replacement. I've searched the forum for pros and cons and this is what I've come up with.

Exedy HD:
    - more bitey
    - more durable
    - heavier pedal
    - can handle more power (not an issue with my VTi )

Honda:
    - more forgiving
    - easier on the drivetrain
    - lighter pedal

Aside from those issues are there any major differences I've missed? Anything I've got completely wrong? It's an EG VTi and I drive it pretty hard, but I match revs up and down the box (heel-toe action). Price isn't a factor.

Googlefight says go for the Honda one. But I need more solid reasoning.
    http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...ard+clutch+kit

I was thinking of getting a lightweight flywheel too, but I've kinda gone off that idea. Not sure my little engine would like it for daily driving.
    Last edited by Vivski; 09-04-2006 at 11:18 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EF9 SiR
    Can't go past OEM reliablity.
    Be sure to get your flywheel machined and a new spigot baring when box is off.
    OG 03' Member #429

Member Array
    Car:
    '95 Civic EG VTi hatch
    Cheers Kyle, that's the way I'm looking at going. Just wanted to make sure there's no glaring reason I'd be stupid not to get heavy duty. Never driven a car with a heavy duty clutch.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EF9
    Depends on your driving style. If you often do flat changes, hi rev dumps and shifts, and generally give your clutch a beating, go for the HD. A stock clutch wont hold very well. You should be asking yourself why your clutch is about to give up, is it because of your driving or its done its long service. They can last for a long time if driven without 'poppin 2nds'

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    OEM last longer

hm.. im in the same situation

but i do a little track work .. i think exedy hd will b the one for me ...

Member Array
    Car:
    '95 Civic EG VTi hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by aznpsuazn
    You should be asking yourself why your clutch is about to give up, is it because of your driving or its done its long service.
    It's nearing 100,000km now and as far as I know it's the original clutch. I got the car about a year ago and the clutch was fairly worn then. It's not slipping in the higher gears yet, but it's certainly not bitey. I look after it as much as I can but I'd love to be able to dump it every now and again.

I'm not sure just how bitey a new Honda clutch will be, nor how heavy an HD clutch is. It makes it a hard decision. One thing I've got out of my research is that it seems either way I wont be disappointed.

viv, the exedy is the way to go ... I should know

Member Array
    Car:
    06 CRV SPORT

hey i just put a exedy HD button clutch in my ef-7 crx

its got a light pedal feel but its very aggressive when gripping so i wouldnt reccomend this clutch unless you have hugh HP.

i only put it in coz i got it for the same price as the HD.

regretting it nows...

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EF9
    if you want some bite go for a HD exedy. the stock clutch wont handle the dumps that well. i wouldnt be going for a button clutch with street use.

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    i have always wondered what extra strain a HD clutch and lightened flywheel will have on the rest of the car, does anyone know?

since money isnt an option why dont you get a new flywheel put in while you're at it? Turns out cheaper than replacing the old one at a later date.
    ...... and that's all I have to say about that.