Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CBR600RR

Cool Door trim lining replacement...

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To replace those old and saggy door trim lining

I decided to do this DIY when I found my trim lining starts to bubble and peel off on the edges,. You can use any fabric you want but BLACK micro suede is just perfect for me
    Basically you will need a reasonably thick fabric or you might need a wool/polyester lining underneath the fabric to make it more plush.

Required:
    • basic tools to remove the door trim
    • 1x1m of microsuede fabric, any color you like !!
    • a can of spray adhesive
    • masking tape
    • a couple of guitar picks (I'll explain later )

I bought the microsuede from my local spotlight shop for $14.95 a metre which is more than enough to do all four doors including their arm rests.

Steps:
    • remove your door trim
    • undo all the door handles, arm rest, switches, etc
    • carefully peel off the old lining, try not to stretch or tear it as you will need it as template to cut the new fabric
    • in case of my trim, you will need the guitar pick to clean off the excess residue of the old material

• Make the template for cutting. Turn the old lining so the inside is facing up and place it on the BACK of the new fabric, I then use a correction pen to mark the template. Try to match the old lining as close as you can because too small or too big is no good..

• cut the fabric as per template..
    • test fit all cut fabric to the trims, use the guitar pick to push the edges so it sits flushed on the trim

• using masking tape and some old paper, mask the edges of the trim where you will stick the fabric on

• spray the adhesive on the trim.. you will need 2 thin coats and a bit thicker second coat on the edges.. don't have it too thick as it may soak through the fabric and damage the finish. You want the glue to be tacky before you stick the fabric, I use a quick 3 second blast of hot air using hair dryer
    • carefully position the fabric on top of the trim and place it down
    • move and adjust the fabric as necessary, and check for bubbles.
    • again using the guitar pick, push the edges of the fabric into the trim so it sits flushed..
    • put extra attention to the corners and rounded edges as the fabric may curl up in these area... if it happens, just use the guitar pick to slowly stretch and tuck in the fabric
    • The armrest pretty much follow the same procedure except you will need about 1-2cm extra on the edges when doing the template. don't worry about the extra fabric as it will tuck in nicely when you put the armrest back to the trim

• Allow the glue to dry overnight before putting the trim back to the car

Finished product..

Member Array
    Car:
    GD1, EK4R,
    awesome doing this in uni holidays =) red suede for me
    IJOEYI
    0o0 whats that... a b20 aye?

Member Array
    Car:
    CBR600RR
    gud luck with it mate... was thinking bout red too, but didnt think it will match the rest of my interior

i used tweed fabric so it looked like ctr =P lol dont have pics at work. but this write up is good ^^,
    EVOLUTIONOZ - The Australian Evo Community

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 CL9 lux
    doesnt look black... is it black?

i did mine with black micro suede... and it looks more like navy... ill take some pics tomorrow
    For Sale:
    95' Civic Sedan VTI 165,000ks
    5zigen GN+ (17 x 7.5 +43 4 x 100) with tyres
    07' CL9 Foglight covers Arctic Blue pm me!

Member Array
    Car:
    CBR600RR
    I know it doesnt look that black in the photos, but I think that's because of the flash... it is black enuf in the car, there is a blacker fabric available but it will look just like that black bit on top of my door trim and i wanted to have a bit of contrast

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 CL9 lux

i might do the rest of the door ... im not liking the grey vinyl... the DIY for that would be the same yea? peal off vinyl and replace with suede?
    Last edited by -[NoS]-; 10-05-2007 at 09:12 AM.
    For Sale:

Member Array
    Car:
    CBR600RR
    I suppose.. but wont suede on suede will look funny? or you might do suede on leather instead?

Member Array
    Car:
    Camry
    Quote Originally Posted by Encor3 View Post
    awesome doing this in uni holidays =) red suede for me
    Ditto, I'm planning to do it with red suede for the DC5R look.
    And red carpeting too

Member Array
    Car:
    CBR600RR
    feel free to post pics of the result guys...

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 CL9 lux
    good idea with the leather... do they have it at spotlight?
    For Sale:

Member Array
    Car:
    CBR600RR
    i know they have vinyl, not sure about leather tho... if they do, it wont be cheap