Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1

want remote central locking

hey guys ive got just plain central locking on my car,
    i want to upgrade it to remote central locking.
    dude at strathfield said id hafta swap the whole thing out for a new system.
    is there an easier way to add the remote feature?
    Last edited by ^BuM_RaSh^; 28-01-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    dude at strathfeild is a softcock.

you can add keless to an EK, but you have to add a motor in the drivers door as it only has a switch in it. not a motor/switch combo.

'dude' at strathfield is trying to upsell

either that or he doesnt have what you're after...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    hrmm well im a bit noobie so that doeznt help lol
    mite b easier if i just get the kit with everything i need itz 70 bux

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    ive asked them before and got a similar answer

so what do i actually need?
    sick of using my key
    EK4 SiR
    1:16.3 @wakfield
    1:58.9 @ eastern creek

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    but i think what the guy was trying to say is that the Alarm module controls the central locking. Your Ek comes with central locking standard. If you get keyless entry then that has a module that controls the central locking which is added to your current central locking. If you get another full alarm system then that will replace the keyless entry that you are getting. Thus one module will have to be replaced.
    Note that the keyless entry stuff is usually very cheap stuff and does not have code hoping and all that fancy stuff to stop people from unlocking your car. Have you seen on TV when they did that show showing you how it was easy to break into cars? That's what happens when you have a cheap module. My best advice is get a proper alarm in the first place and don't waste your money
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 Honda Civic Sedan
    i to got told the same thing from a "dude" at strathfield but he was charging the same amount either with or without the module to buy the alarm and install it, i decided not to go for it cos the only systems they offered were blackwidows and have heard many bad things about them....

got my car booked in another place on wednesday to get a mongoose alarm and installed for cheaper than wat strathfield offered me! Look around some better offers than strathfield!
    Yo Mumma So Fat Wen She Jumped....She Got Stuck!....

[www.doojsh.com]

Quote Originally Posted by ^BuM_RaSh^
    hey guys ive got just plain central locking on my car,
    i want to upgrade it to remote central locking.
    dude at strathfield said id hafta swap the whole thing out for a new system.
    is there an easier way to add the remote feature?
    Hey, just because he works there doesn't mean he knows what he is talking about!

I recently upgraded my EK to remote central locking.
    I looked around and found the best value kit was this one
    http://www.strathfield.com.au/ViewPr...p?ProdID=1076#
    from Strathfield
    It cost $69 and took an afternoon to install.

While installing it I also added some insulation to stop the locking rods in the door from rattling - which is a minor but common EK problem I think.
    It is a worthwhile upgrade and is pretty easy to do.

Advantages.
    No more fumbling around for keys like a prole.
    Fixed the rattles at the same time.
    Extra pride in your ride.

Disadvantages.
    More effort required to turn the key in the lock - if you use the key
    The remote central locking doesn't flash the indicators like a fully integrated system would.

Regards,
    Nick

When i bought my car all it had was central locking. I bought an alarm system from strathfield and it came with a thing that just latched on to my existing locking, which made it keyless. All it does is move the single lock up or down, and coz its central locking, the rest follow. Plus now i got an alarm too.

The system i bought flashes my indicators, as well as making that yuppy beeping sound when locked/unlocked. I can also do silent unlocks/locks. If my alarm goes off, when you unlock the car the indicators flash a few extra times so you know sumthin has been going on. Pretty good.
    Last edited by mugeneration; 29-01-2006 at 05:50 PM.
    ...... and that's all I have to say about that.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    yeh i guess an alarm system upgrade with keyless would be the way to go. can sum1 give me a rough idea of how much ppl charge for alarm installation? an wah if like pull off all the panels an put it bak on myself would it b cheaper? lol. i dont have a job so cheaper = number 1

i wouldnt have a clue nor the tools to do myself either. prolly end up with VTEC somehow with my knowledge

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    pulling the door trims off your self really wont save you any $$. if anyting just makes it more dificult in the long run as,

if the dude installes a door actuator in the drivers door ( which he will have to do) , and left the door trim to you to fit, the actuator may be in the way and preventing the door trim to go on.

only takes 2 min to take off the door trim off an EK.

Member Array
    Car:
    96" VTIR Civic
    hahahah years ago i worked next to their first shop. When they first started installing alarms youd see them install the alarm. Then when they couldnt get it to go goin off they pushed it out onto the street an ring NRMA.