Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTi-R Prelude

FAQ- Cold air/short ram intakes

Ok so i dunno if this has been kinda written up here (havent been on OH too long) but i think its time i made a contribution here about a post that we all know can come up too often. What is a cold air intake and what are the advantages to short ram intakes. Ill start the initial post and if anyone thinks i have missed out something or am wrong please add it and i shall update my initial post. hope u like:

i have an aem v2 intake, but for the preludes case it turns out its a short ram kind of intake. the v2 is designed for the greatest gains and in the preludes case its short ram, even if it says its a cold air intake. This will be different for other cars, I believe the V2 is is CAI for the integra?

WHAT IS A SHORT RAM INTAKE?
    a short ram intake sits in the engine bay, the pipe runs to a position behind the battery. heres a pic of my aem v2
    (note the position of the pod)
    ADVANTAGES:
    *Top end gains due to the free flowing setup
    *Responce is greater than the cold air intake setups, due to the shorter flow for air to get into engine.
    DISADVANTAGES:
    On hot days "heat soak" becomes a factor, hot air is less dense than cold air and on a hot day there is alot of hot air in the engine bay. This can be overcome by building a heat shield kind of box around the pod but probly wont be as free flowing nemore.
    * This set up is illegal if using an oil based pod, In Victoria(dunno bout other states) it is illegal to have an exposed pod in the engine bay. If you use a dry paper type pod like racinghonda uses it will be fully street legal.
    SHORT RAM INTAKE BRANDS
    *Aem V2
    *Weapon R

WHAT IS A COLD AIR INTAKE?

a cold air intake runs the pipe through the engine bay and sits the pod in the wheel well, heres a pic of richards(racinghonda) setup, i believe its simota pipe with the Apexi Power Intake pod(shmicko!!!)

(note how the pod sits outside the engine bay)
    ADVANTAGES:
    *Its cold air diet means for a constant supply for cold air, no heat soak!!!better for power on hot days
    *looks blingin!
    DISADVANTAGES:
    *long pipe is bad for responce
    *in really wet countries hydrolock is a risk, this requires the full pod to be submerged (knee high puddle) with atleast partial throttle applied (over 50% id guess). It doesnt take einstein to guess that water in the engine=VERY BAD=VERY EXPENSIVE, hydro lock can be avoided by purchasing an AEM bypass valve.see pic below

ive heard its useless as it totally disrupts the airflow so u may aswell stay stock intake. It sits inbetween the two pipes, in richards pic notice the join above the battery, the bypass valve would be located there.

COLD AIR INTAKE BRANDS FOR PRELUDE

*Iceman
    *Simota
    *AEM cold air intake (not v2)
    Last edited by CUL8R; 27-04-2006 at 05:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Another really good cold air intake is the MUGEN Cold air intake.

A significant reduction in pressure loss has been achieved with the Mugen Airbox and filter in comparison with that of the factory AUDM airbox/filter.

A pressure loss reduction of more than 30% has been achieved. The Mugen airbox will reduce pressure loss by an impressive 3 psi while lowering the intake air temperature by 50 degrees.

Stellar mid-range gains combined with excellent high rpm horsepower without all the intake noise associated with conventional cold air systems. Impressive in every way with all the usual Mugen quality and performance touches.

In Conclusion a very good INTAKE SYSTEM (CANT GO PAST IT)

Great write up. Kudos from me to you. Culr8: Maybe you can PM Zdster and have this put int he noob section. This would fit perfectly IMO.

where can i get a cold air intake in nsw???hw much does it cost???

Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTi-R Prelude
    SiReal: Thanx man! u just succeeded in my transition from a newbie to a member! hoorah for respect!lol ive pmd about the whole possible moving of the thread.

marcus: try many of our traders, depending on what u want someone will find if for u for sure, have a browse over all the threads in there, u can then find which trader can find what for u, they can then supply it for u.

Simota type pipes end up on ebay all the time, so keep ur eyes peeled for a bargain there
    Last edited by CUL8R; 27-04-2006 at 07:42 PM.

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    cool. but stock intakes are also very good
    oh wrd!

there are many on the ebays but i duno if its a fakie!!! u can $10 bidding for a aem pipe and etc....is simota gd????

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord CD5
    So...there are disadvantages and advantages of both, I hear the Weapon R 'secret' CAI has the advantages of a standard CAI but works just as good as a short ram, any opinions on this?

I'm stuck right now whether to purchase a CAI or short ram...unsure which would be best for my engine

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    Heat is the secret, keeping the heat out of a short one is hard to do, whilst the longer ones give you the ability to seal up the unit and keep heat away.

If you have a CAI what's the use when you only breathe in hot air?

Btw.... you can get these from the traders EGSI sells most of the different types. Or you can make your own.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Make your own! I have a KN Panel in my stock air box with a DIY CAI. Works a treat. I swapped the Panel for a pod and it sounds loud as well.

Rained heavily recently,got a bit worried, so when i got home, popped open the bonnet and the piping at the top of the CAI was dry, and so was the area immediate to the opening of the CAI.

The area immediate was also very cool to touch, unlike previsouly very warm.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    i got a stock airbox and intake pipe on my EJ8.. can i just get rid of the airbox and fit a K&N pod with an adapter?

Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTi-R Prelude
    itll work, itll look a lil ugly but hey get a good pod and do that for now, then just go to a elcheapo place to get a CAI pipe in the meantime and ur set