Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    I made up a custom made alloy 2.5 inch (by myself) short ram pod style intake & AEM V2 style pod intake on my D16A8 CRX, and also on my D16A9 EG Si Sedan. The short ram did help throttle response and low end tourque but heat soak was an issue.

With the longer AEM style type that I fabricated I used 3 ich alloy form the throttle body to pod, it improved midrange to top end performance but not by much, though i lost the throttle response of the short ram style.

Then I tried a factory LS1 V8 Airbox and modified it to suit 2.5 inch thick irrigation rubber feeding from the throttle body (with heat soak wrap around it) to the air box, then another lenght of 2.5 irrigation rubber piping feeding
    near the headlight on a downwards angle. It gave the best of both worlds, no heat soak, throttle response, low, mid and top end power.

Might be different on VTEC motors as I'm yet to experiment with one. I'll let you know once my H22A is in my EG Si Sedan but I presume it will give the same results.

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I plan do do the same with the H22A VTEC in my Civic.
    Last edited by Jarkz; 13-12-2006 at 11:48 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EG5 VTi Hatch
    forgive my ignorance, but i've recently decided to change to a metal intake pipe from my stock rubber one that's connected to my blitz pod... but i noticed there 's a hard plastic 'chamber' connected to the stock pipe a little way back from the throttle body... could somebody tell me what this is? i've got a D16Y1 if it helps...

and also, how much should i expect to spend if i go an exhaust place and ask them to make me a custom pipe?

Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by fxr View Post
    forgive my ignorance, but i've recently decided to change to a metal intake pipe from my stock rubber one that's connected to my blitz pod... but i noticed there 's a hard plastic 'chamber' connected to the stock pipe a little way back from the throttle body... could somebody tell me what this is? i've got a D16Y1 if it helps...

and also, how much should i expect to spend if i go an exhaust place and ask them to make me a custom pipe?
    Personally I would'nt bother with the metal pipe as it will retain heat form under bonnet temps. If you must for the look factor then use alloy as it dose'nt conduct heat as quick as metal and also cools down quicker. I recently spotted at Repco and Autobarn a Length of flexible silicon rubber by MONZA that was very similar to what I used and the price of it was very reasonable.

Don't bother with the exhaust shops when you can buy prefabricated 60 and
    90 degree polished alloy bends from the above mentioned places.

Member Array
    Car:
    boosted dc2...
    how positive are you that alloy doesnt conduct heat as easy as stainless steel? I think you might be miss-led there...
    Boosted Integra underway!

Member Array

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by spardikis View Post
    how positive are you that alloy doesnt conduct heat as easy as stainless steel? I think you might be miss-led there...
    Alloy may conduct heat as much as metal (I doubt it though). But alloy dispurses heat alot quicker than metal.

Member Array
    Car:
    boosted dc2...
    Aluminium is an excellent heat and electricity conductor and is also a very good reflector of heat and light at the same time.
    Boosted Integra underway!

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EF9 SiR
    CAI is very good investment. Only $300 and you get like 2Kw gain ATFW!
    Thats like $150 per kilowatt of power.

Nice FAQ anyway for all the P-Plater Noobs out there. REP+

Member Array

Arrow

Aluminium is an excellent heat and electricity conductor and is also a very good reflector of heat and light at the same time.
    I'm not going to debate who is right or who wrong but I did a little multimeter heat testing when I performed my intake mods and the got the lower heat reading on alloy than the metal on my car?

How come most "big brand name" Greedy,Apexi, hks etc use alloy or titanium on there Intake tubes and intercooler piping then.

Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTi-R Prelude
    i know for a fact that my aem v2 comes coated with a heat resistant powder coat type paint (sorry ive gone a blank). thats usually what the difference between name brand intakes and el cheapo ebay simota pipes

dont forget, alloy and the exotic titanium are lighter than stainless steel, think of those twin turbo skylines with piping everywhere, it would save alot of weight

Member Array
    I don't use "cheap" simota products etc... I custom fabricate my stuff.
    I'm not spending $150.00 - $300.00 + bucks on intake products when I can achieve
    the same result myself if not better for besides nothing. (each to there own I guess)?
    Last edited by Jarkz; 19-12-2006 at 05:14 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTi-R Prelude
    dude...chillax...i was just answering ur question

OzHonda Passanger Array
    Car:
    98 VTiR Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by Jarkz View Post
    Alloy may conduct heat as much as metal (I doubt it though). But alloy dispurses heat alot quicker than metal.

LOL um well first stainless steel is an alloy and second an alloy is jsut a combination of diferant metals and all have diferant properties so if u chose the rite one it may give you better heat dissapation but it could be at a diferant cost.....as in weight or strengh or how easy it is to bend.....and using a metal (weather an alloy or not) normally does have advantages over silicone or rubber as it will have a smoother internal bore and not cause as much disturbance in the flow of the intake line
    OH GOD!!!!!.....They De-Luded ME!!!