Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    An interesting piont that many miss when changing final drive gears in your diff is, due to the change in ratio, tail shaft speeds are more excessive and generally(not always) you'll get a light hum and/or vibration(not from driveshaft). So while your getting your gears done it's worth getting your tailshaft overhauled and balanced. Also changing final drive in gearbox is not a complex job at all, it's quite basic and theres less chance of ending up with a noisy gearset.
    Last edited by JAP-S2K; 01-02-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling error

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EM1
    is cryo treated a must? what would you rate it out of 10 for importance?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    Quote Originally Posted by Simy View Post
    is cryo treated a must? what would you rate it out of 10 for importance?
    It's not a must. As it's got it's pro's and con's. It is a good idea as it make the surface harder and less likely to burr on the ends of the teeth. Which in theory does make it slightly stronger, but it also does make the teeth more brittle, which can/is a down fall. It really come's down to one important aspect..... how you drive your car. Nothing will stop breakages if your hard or have an abusive style of driving eg. launches, burnouts, doughnuts, clutch kicking and worse of all, if you let it tramp. Cryo treating could actually have a negative effect under these conditions. Remember that the factory crown and pinions wheels are renouned for snapping.

Are you hard on your car? or was the broken gearbox being unlucky.
    CHEAP--FAST--RELIABLE = PICK ANY TWO

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EM1
    lol.. i dont drive my car as hard as my mates.. they neva seem to break anything.. maybe its just the maintenence.. lol.. i think it was just unlucky.. i bought the car.. not in the best of condition, it had a history or blown diff and tail shaft... and i put the new clutch in.. n i think it was just time for it to go, couldn't hack the new clamp load...

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by JAP-S2K View Post
    Which in theory does make it slightly stronger, but it also does make the teeth more brittle
    Cryo treating doesn't make material more brittle. It just removes faults int he lattice structure and makes the material more evenly hard, not harder.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    Aus, your correct. My point, Cryo doesn't solve why they fail. Perhaps i should have explained myself a little more clearly. Doing Cryo treatment alone on the Crown and pinion wheels will have little, if any effect, as the cause the crown and pinion failure in our differentials goes way beyond the structural strength of the crown and pinion wheels (actual metal properties) themselves. Two keys area's seem to be the point where failure over time will occur. One being the diff collar (crush collar) and the other being the end caps which support the LSD centre. Both matters will result in excessive backlash, and overtime or through excessive abusive will cause failure to crown (more likely) and pinion (less likely) failure. Even then i know of a case where somebody managed to split a differential casing. If these area's are rectified to start with, perhaps we would see less failures. So what i'm trying to say is Cryo Treating may buy you time, much the same as spacers do for driveshafts. Your only fixing a known problem with a bandaid solution.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Maybe you should have said that instead of incorrectly stating that cryo treat makes the teeth more brittle.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    My bad.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EM1
    lol so angry guys.. lol cheers.. where could i get it done in sydney? pricing?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    I don't get cranky! LOL

Pm sent.

any1 know which place in Perth can do the install?

Member Array
    Car:
    01 S2000
    JAP, what's the go with the differential collar thing? I'm thinking of getting it and then getting my diff's backlash set. Worth it?

Not that keen on doing final gear, but want to do pre-emptive work on the diff for piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MBLAQ View Post
    any1 know which place in Perth can do the install?
    Any differential place with a decent reputation.

Workshops with a reputation for building drift cars should also know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Simy View Post
    lol so angry guys.. lol cheers.. where could i get it done in sydney? pricing?
    That's just Aus, he aint being angry and neither is JAP. His answers might be short but they are too the point and usually correct.