Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    I currently have a 1992 EG honda Civic Hatch GL and I'm thinking about changing the engine sometime in the future.
    I'm not completly sure on what I should go for or what each engines specification is.

I'm thinking something like a B16B (rare?), B16A, B18C(got no idea on)
    I'm in Brisbane so if anyone knows a good, cheap, reliable place to get a front cut from then please post.

I will most probably be doing most of the mechanical work with my dad who is a mechanic at home. But can anyone tell me basically what is involved in it? Is it a straight pull out, put in job? Or more technical?

And if anyone has had one of hese conversions or has any info on these engines can you please fill me in.
    Thnx.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra turbo
    hehe go for the b18c motor =)

B20Crvtec

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    B18C or CrVTEC would be my choice.

B16B will cost way too much
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

The most important question to ask before you make any decisions or buy anything is what do you want from the engine?

If you can answer that question here then i'm sure you will get a lot of good technical advise that will be handy. You have a lot of options with the EG. You could go a B16A, B18C, B20 conversion or even a H22A. There are endless options.

So...

What do you want to achieve and do you want to keep it N/A?

Ok, what I want from the engine is this:

1. I want alot more power than the engine that is currently in the car, preferably DOHC VTEC or something similar

2. It has to be N/A as I am not allowed a turbo/supercharged car (parents) yet..

3. My budget for the front cut alone will be roughly $2500, but if more is needed then I am prepared to wait and save.

4. I would like it to be able to keep up, if not beat other cars similar to it(not that I will be racing anyone ) ie. pulsars, corollas( SX, GTI ) etc.

5. I do not want to increase the overall weight of the car by too much, and I do not want my handling affected by the engine. (I have heard that the H22A may do this)

And also, if you list a possible engine, could you please list what the engine is exactly, where it comes from etc.

Thankyou.

Steer clear of Frank (CRVTEC/LSVTEC) motors unless you know what your doing and can do a LOT of it yourself. I'd go B16a if I was u

From what you've said stick to the B16A. It's an awesome engine, very versatile and there are a lot of parts available (huge aftermarket range also).

With that budget it will cover the half-cut and even the labour for doing the swap. Later as you save more you can start to do mods such as I/H/E, CAMS, bigger throttle body, ECU etc etc.

For now though, i'd go for the B16A. Any of the other engines will cost more and parts will be harder to source. Also, you will have to worry about making custom engine mounts if you go a H22 for example.

The best thing is if you drop a B16A in the EG, you will easily beat all the cars you mentioned and that's without mods! :mrgreen:

b16, b18, b20 are all good options... b16 would probarbly be easy to source, as is the h22... b16b would definatly be the hardest to source and the price would be pretty high..

try asian autospares, 198 kingston rd slacks creek, (07) 32080133.... they advertise b16a's for 2000 and h22a's for 2500... most companies will fit them for about the price of 2000-2500 so about 5 grand all up...

the h22 will be fairly large and you wont have much room left in the engine bay, also a quite heavy engine so you may need a different suspension setup at the front to support it... definatly easier to go b16
    フジタエンジニアリング

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Why not b18c1 ?
    It would be the only swap id contemplate going into my EG.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW021
    ops: but where is the b18c1 engine from?? or b16a/b for that matter?? ops:

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    b18c1 = dc2 integra type-r's
    u could also go for a vtir motor, dunno the exact code, probably b18c5 or something.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.