Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supercharger

Question Supercharger

Hay guys im new to this site but couse its a all Honda site so you may be able to help me......i want to supercharge my 98 civic i think its a b16 motor.....im lookin at a Powerdyne BD-11A....would it work???? Or any other charges i can use and how much am i lookin for??????and dose anyone have one for sale.

Cheers

Chris

Member Array
    You want an easy install? Try a Jackson Racing S.C.! It's what almost everyone in the U.S. uses, or a Vortec. You do know Powerdyne doesn't make a import kit yet? The BD-11A isn't a kit. For that price and to get the rest of the parts you need will put you over a kit already made and proven for imports. Just my $.02USD!!

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    unfortunately, with the jrsc, you're stuck without using an intercooler(well, there is one company that makes one for it, but it's very expensive... about as much as the sc itself). Superchargers, which really aren't that thermally efficient, without an intercooler are very very limited... bad stuff.

If you're going to go wtih a vortec charger, you'd be better off saving your money and going with a turbo... will work out better for you in just about every way... and you'll actually make some torque.

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    Quote Originally Posted by saxman
    unfortunately, with the jrsc, you're stuck without using an intercooler(well, there is one company that makes one for it, but it's very expensive... about as much as the sc itself). Superchargers, which really aren't that thermally efficient, without an intercooler are very very limited... bad stuff.

If you're going to go wtih a vortec charger, you'd be better off saving your money and going with a turbo... will work out better for you in just about every way... and you'll actually make some torque.

hey man, sounds like you speak from experience.

With the JRSC kit, does it come with the ECU to run it? also, is it a kinf of kit that you can install at home, or does it get quite complicated?

THanks amn, im very itnerested in this kit, im not a real turbo fan, but i'd luv to hear an s/c whining at 8500rpm..

Member Array
    A lot of the JRSC kits come with a Hondata s200 or the newer s300. You have to make sure you order the right ecu kit when you order the JRSC kit.

http://www.jacksonracing.com/Browse/...&PlateTypeID=1

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    looks like only the high boost systems come with the ECU

is this something i can put together myself? in terms of the hardware? or would you recommend it gets done by a pro?

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    and is the motor able to reliably handle the extra power without affecting any stock components?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXi
    stock components should be able to handle 6 to 9 psi boost depending on the condition of the engine

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    you will be much more limited by the amount of boost the engine can handle on the jrsc compared to a turbo set up. The extra heat from the jrsc(blowers are inherently less thermally efficient than a turbo, so it'll always blow more heat, heat is bad) and the lack of an intercooler really limits the amount of boost than can be ran before the onset of detonation without having to seriously retard timing, etc.

The base kits come with some fuelmanagement that is completely unacceptable... you'll need something better. Hondata will work fine.

It's really quite unfortunate though... so much work for forced induction without any of the torque gains that make it all worth while.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    s2k,ED,EG
    my menchanic at the moment has installed Vortec turbine version supercharger and the good thing u can add an BOV power delivery and torque is very noticeable

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry
    my menchanic at the moment has installed Vortec turbine version supercharger and the good thing u can add an BOV power delivery and torque is very noticeable
    peak boost at redline and a very minimal torque boost over stock? not my idea of a good time...

I know a lot of people say they want a s/c to be different, etc.. but there's a good reason that they aren't used more commonly on a honda... turbos are just far better for this application.

I know several people that had a s/c for a while, then tried a turbo, and all say they would never go back.

Member Array
    A turbo kit is the way to go but if you want a s/c go with it... if you have the time and money. A good s/c kit will run you $3,500USD or more, but a good Turbo kit with Hondata or the AEM EMS will start at $3,000USD and go up from there. Take of $1k-$1,500 for the Hondata/AEM EMS if you don't want those parts yet. Piecing together a s/c kit is hard. Only a specific part with fit where as a turbo you can use just about any part you want, until you get in to the turbos internals or what flanges you have.