Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1986 Prelude

**Urgent Help - Driveshaft Outer Boot Replacement**

Hello,
    The passenger side (left) outer joint/outboard joint on my 1986 Honda Prelude has split and is spraying grease everywhere. So I went and bought a replacement boot so that I could replace it. I have taken the left hand side driveshaft out of the car but cannot replace the outer boot because the driveshaft diameter is too large. Does the outer joint come off the shaft? so the boot can be slid over the outer end of the driveshaft?

Any help is much appreciated as I need to get the car all running again by sunday afternoon. Cheers Benny

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1986 Prelude
    woops, just realised this post should probably be in the model specific prelude part of the forum. Sorry, could this get moved if it shouldn't be here. Cheers Benny

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1986 Prelude

Still need help, ASAP!

Come on guys, surely there is someone out there who has done this.

I went down to my local sprint auto parts and the guy there said to get a punch or a long piece of metal and hit the inner part of the joint carefully to get the joint off. I tried this but just cannot get the joint to come off the shaft.

I really need to have my car going by the end of today so I need help asap. Any help or input is much appreciated. Cheers Benny

pm me your email and I'll send you a service guide for the axle

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1986 Prelude
    pm sent

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    herre check my DIY i did recently on a possible way you can do this.
    I did it on an EG, but it would most likely be the same setup.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43586

Hope it helps in some way.
    Paul.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1986 Prelude
    g'day,
    I had a look at your DIY article but I still have a problem. I still can't understand how to get the new boot into position on the driveshaft. The diameter of the driveshaft and the joint itself is much larger than the holes in either end of the boot. So without taking the joint off i can't see how you can just slide it on, I really need to know how to take the outer joint off. Cheers Benny