Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    if you are getting pre-ignition, it doesnt matter what plug you run...the fuel is igniting because of cylinder pressure and not spark.

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by poid
    if you are getting pre-ignition, it doesnt matter what plug you run...the fuel is igniting because of cylinder pressure and not spark.
    detonation is a result of heat and cylinder pressure... using a colder plug, which will remove some heat from the cylinder, could help prevent some detonation, if you were detonating from heat problems. If you're at the point where you've reached the knock threshold of the fuel from cylinder pressure, than, yes, you're correct, changing plugs won't really make a difference.

shebangs, try this link.

No formulae, but very useful.

There's a field to input atmospheric pressure.

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml

Nick.

> thought colder lower gapped plugs with an improved coil could improve the situation....

David Vizard says the primary benefit of improved (eg CDI) ignitions is enable the spark under fouling conditions which colder plugs create.

That was before EFI systems though.

Further, I suppose a slightly colder plug in a boosted situation doesn't have the fouling issues.

Nick.

Member Array
    Car:
    '11 WRX
    interesting read. so basically you figure out how many bar you are running plus surrounding air pressure (1bar at sea level) then multiply by compression ratio.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    very good read thanks but theres a limit til when 'knocking' starts

find a good tuner guys!

Member Array
    Car:
    Not a Honda anymore.
    You shouldn't ever get near the bit where the knocking starts if you know what you're doing.
    Competition Systems
    Motorsport Electronics
    Magneti Marelli, Jenvey and Digitek Corse
    Melbourne, Australia
    www.compsystems.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    But with the lower compression engines running super boost, because they have higher air fuel mixtures they have more potential energy in the cylinder correct?
    Meaning high hp in the end yes?

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    wouldnt more boost mean more torque
    im glad you didnt put the sx lip AND that one on or itd be like yo dawg i herd you liek lips, so i put a lip on yo lip so you can lip while you lip

Account Disabled Array
    e85 with boost goes very well together

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    yeah when you reach that knock barrier its when fueling is important and a higher octane fuel is needed.

That is why sometimes it is recommended to drop compression to stop pre-igntion of fuel that goes into the head, cos you its hard to get fuel that is consitently the right octane for you car. If you don't have a buffer then if you get a bad batch of fuel you'll pre-ignite and there goes all the hard work & money.

I'm not an expert but that's my understanding
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Behind the wheel of my car, cruising the hills of adelaide
    Car:
    ED6 Civic
    with most cars though, there is a certain amount of overlap between the exhaust and intake valve opening times, and on some cams, valves may be open slightly during compression stroke, which means that the actual dynamic compression can be lower than the static compression initially calculated.
    Current Performance Modifications to ED6:
    not telling, but it involves a semi-quad carb setup, and lots and lots of compression.