Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned Array
    Car:
    Suabaru > Honda

Cool "FOB Thread" Issues

I think this needs to be discussed again, after fob thread was hijacked.

thoughts please.

Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    None.. yet.
    Yes i do too, some of my posts to clarify my point of view.

"Sorry i just think its wrong to start threads like this in an obviously very rich cultural environment. Excluding People based on language is still a form of racisim and i dont think it should be allowed. Very similar to lets start a thread only white people can post in..... But it doesnt matter, they are only poking fun at each other as the back up statement to an obviously wrong idea.

It just isnt right and this sort of thread shouldnt be allowed. It doesnt matter if they are poking fun at each other. It is a public forum and discimination should not be tollerated by anyone."

"This is not a duscussion about "ruining" a thread. This is a statement about the blatently racist thread you have made discriminating certain groups. Who cares if its for fun or that people like it. Create a forum based on your own biased set of racist rules and have fun there.

There are already forums like that in the more extreme sense, check out the KKK website for more insight on how some people think that its ok to exclude other groups. Might be a good read, then you can learn how to really non conform to the rules and post all sorts of crap."
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaronng
    Isn't forcing them to speak english only an act of discrimination against all other languages? In a very rich cultural environment, we are meant to embrace each other's culture and not force minorities to conform to our culture. Isn't that what you are asking for?

No offence, but it seems to me that you are discriminating against them. I come from a country that has over 5 races. Legislation in that country allows everyone to speak their own language but have to learn the national language in schools. Legislation also allows everyone to have their own religion. Anyone who opresses the other races are thrown into jail because they are trying to incite racial discrimination. So based on the legislation of the country from which I come from, what you are saying IS discrimination!

P.S., I don't understand what the people in this thread are saying. All my knowledge of their language comes from tv programs on SBS! I was brought up to speak english and I have been speaking English all these 27 years. Am I offended by this thread? No. Why? Because I don't care for the contents in this thread. Everything else in Ozhonda is in english, which I can understand and that I am satisfied with that. If a technical thread comes up in a foreign language, then I will complain about it.
    I agree with
    "Isn't forcing them to speak english only an act of discrimination against all other languages? In a very rich cultural environment, we are meant to embrace each other's culture and not force minorities to conform to our culture. Isn't that what you are asking for?"

ANd i dont ask for any one to have to speak english but i am saying that, that statement makes out to be my point perfectly. Forcing a group to speak cantonese in order to paticipate is discrimination.

And i think people passing the topic off as "needing to chill" to to check there values. It is wrong to make a only for the english area but right to make an only for the cantonese area?"
    Please mods i dont think this should be allowed. I dont protest what they are saying but i am protesting the way they are not allowing people with out a cantonese background to participate.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Suabaru > Honda
    The only issue i have with it is.....the "fob thread" is basically the usual old spammers. Its just another place for them to spam and its not like they don't spam in canto in the normal spam thread anywayz. Like i brought up....this could easily get out of control......ITS JUST AN EXCUSE FOR QBALL TO SPAM !!!! thats right q_ball im being a player hater king ting !

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    How is it discriminating??
    I really dont understand you man...
    Its not restricting anyone from posting, the statement "keep all posts cantonese" is meerly there so that ppl will keep the thread ON TOPIC!!
    Every thread has that rule, post to the theme, or the subject of the thread, and in this instance, the thread i made is a CANTONESE CHAT THREAD!!
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyas
    It is wrong to make a only for the english area but right to make an only for the cantonese area?
    The whole forum is made for english. Have you seen the thread where someone from overseas tried to post and ask for advice but was instead told to speak proper english? I'm serious, that did happen. Humans only notice things that are different. This forum has been english only and you didn't notice that until now that someone has started a thread in a foreign language.

I can't participate in that thread because I don't know cantonese. But do I want to participate in that thread which is mostly rubbish talk? We already have the spam thread for that in english. I am on Ozhonda for the technical aspect. To learn and to contribute. If there was technical info in another language, I would be frustrated. But this thread that you are complaining about is so meaningless. I don't understand why you want it in english....

Most of the posts are of this level: "I just got home. I am tired", "that girl is hot", "don't be a pervert", "go eat shit". Really, even if the thread was in english, I wouldn't participate in it.

Are you wanting any non-english threads to be deleted? Or do you want those people currently posting in that thread to post in english instead?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyas
    I like Qball's Methods of expressing my issue to a T, by now excluding me from the discussion based on language barriers. Good work Qball.
    I said:
    "go smack your head against the wall, you cant fcukn read english".
    I asked you very nicely there, to stop ruining the chat thread and to make one here!!
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    i'm a mod, asian background, aussie born and raised... and i don't get 1 word they're saying in there and i honestly don't care cos that thread topic/subject doesn't interest nor concern me hence i will not participate. they seem like they're chit chatting, and i find nothing offensive or racist about it based on it being in another language.

the only reason i would close that thread is cos the majority of ppl and myself don't understand it and hence it's basically spam... but i wont.... can't c y i would...

don't look at it in a language/background kinda barrier... if a few super geeks started talking about quantum physics and you had no idea wot they were goin on about and couldn't participate, would that be the same?

this is just my opinion, not only as a mod but as a member too
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

agreed EK9

Banned Array
    Car:
    Suabaru > Honda
    so mr. vinh are u giving me a green light to start a "viet talk" thread ?

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    no comment
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    None.. yet.
    "if anything mikeyas you are discriminating against them. let them be, if you don't like the thread then don't post here.

if you wish to bitch in this thread feel free to do so in cantonese, otherwise use the site discussion area (or u can take it up with me if u like?)
    if you or others continue to bitch in english your posts will be deleted

thank you"

From panda... and I wish to discuss.

Now can you place your reasoning to why the thread should not be deleted.
    And we can discuss.

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    lol nah seriously, i wouldn't say i'd give ya the green light... but if a thread did start, and i understood it and became utter bs or started becoming abusive or defamatory in any way (as language threads do get some times as ppl only know how to swear!) i'd close it.

but yeah, at the end of the day that's the lounge, a place to talk about wotever. there are rules, but flexible ones of course... and i personally can't c a problem with that thread. but if the majority do, then that's a different story, as i'm only 1 voice in many thousands.
    Last edited by EK9; 13-06-2006 at 10:05 PM.
    arrowz

OTO-KREW