Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Diffrence between CVT and ATF oil

I changed mine to ATF oil and when I went to the dealer they told me that I should have changed to CVT oil. I paid $14 for the ATF and the CVT would cost me $93. I changed it at 40K like the manual says but the dealer changes it at 60K.
    so what is the diffrence and is there any diffrence in using ATF instead than CVT, and any danger using the ATF oil.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Honda used to specify ATF for their CVT, until they ran into some issues with the CVT. Then they made new fluid specifically for the CVT. In Australia, I think we still use ATF for the CVT.

I think you can buy Honda CVT fluid for a cheaper price at the parts shop rather than from the dealer.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Will no one sells it only the dealer and it's $$$.
    although I changed it at 40K like the Honda manual says the guy told me that he smelt like burn oil, and the dealer changes it at 60K which is really strange. Now I have ATF cooler and will change it every 10k just to be in the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    Honda used to specify ATF for their CVT, until they ran into some issues with the CVT. Then they made new fluid specifically for the CVT. In Australia, I think we still use ATF for the CVT.

I think you can buy Honda CVT fluid for a cheaper price at the parts shop rather than from the dealer.

Hi Kimo,

You mean the new CVT fluid cost $93? Damn, this is very expensive and I might grab some from Honda Msia or Spore.

Why is Honda Australia still using ATF when other countries already used CVT fluid for a couple of months now The service bulletin did say not to put ATF-Z1 into CVT.

http://www.gillmanauto.com/webfiles/...newsjune05.pdf

Aaron

Member Array
    Car:
    4th Gen Prelude VTiR
    Our Jazz had its 40,000kms service last week and the dealership changed the CVT oil without me asking. I did think that it was a bit early but I think they are changing it early as a precaution now?

My CVT lost its smoothness around 22,000km. Replaced the fluid immediately and its smoother than it ever was. Hanny's said the specified service interval in the manual is way too long. I most certainly agree but then I also enjoy the optimum performance offered by changing my oil every 5,000km rather than 10,000km.

I look at this way. Whatever the price of CVT fluid its a lot less than replacing the gearbox.

yes honda has made a new cvt fluid called ( cvtf ),it has mainly been designed for the new hybrid '06' civic. Yes it is expensive because it hasn't been made in mass production in australia yet, it has to be ordered from japan.This oil has been designed for use in all cvt's but not esential,i would still use the old ATF-Z1 but i would recommend you change it ever 40,000km at the minimum.

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    u need to pm j.t. for cheaper oil man

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz GLi CVT
    Went into Honda dealer shop today (Brisbane, Slacks Creek) and found they have the new CVT fluid. I was quoted $85 for 4L. This is a fair bit more expensive than the regular ATF-Z1 fluid, which is $50 for 4L.

Nevertheless, I am going to use this "new" CVT in my next 120K km major service cycle (as per Jazz manual). My previous replacement was using only ATF-Z1 fluid's (@ 40K & 80K km).

The label on the back of this "new" oil says specifically that this is for CVT, while the label on the regular ATF-Z1 says for "Honda conventional automatic transmission". There you go... you decide which is best.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2005 Jazz VTi
    So you guys reckon there is a difference between CVTF and ATF? Im asking because I just bought 4L of Penrite ATF MHP and was planning on using this for my Jazz.

I have always used Penrite and trust the brand and the spec sheet for the ATF says it can be used in CVT if engine capacity is less than 1.6L which the Jazz is.

Member Array
    Car:
    4th Gen Prelude VTiR
    ^^ Don't you think that it would be best to use a lubricant that was specifically designed for the Honda CVT transmission? They did originally use ATF in there but went through the trouble of developing a lubricant specifically for the CVT transmission. I just don't think it is worth the risk. The CVT isn't a cheap transmission to repair . . .

It's always best to use the Honda CVTF for warranty reasons. I change mine every 20.000km for my piece of mind.
    Who's your messiah now!