Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tracking my s2

tracking my s2

hey guys,
    ill be tracking my s2k soon, and just wanted afew tips, on what is needed etc to prep up for track..

ive recently purchased some new brake pads, havnt got them installed yet, is it required that i machine down my rotors? they seem to be pretty smooth.

im also getting the car serviced this week and fitting the pads with a wheel alignment. what kinda oil should i be running?

also, how should my coilovers be set up if i was only running 16" semi slicks on the rear and street tyres on the front? not quite sure how high and hard i should set them up to.

cheers,
    willy
    Last edited by BRU51N; 16-06-2006 at 01:13 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    onevia
    Oil, you should search. been covered.
    Pads, you should get ferodo dsc2500 if you have the $$$
    coilover setup, Don't know, depends on the track. if your goin wakefield it'll probably be the softest setup compared to other tracks as wakefield is very bumpy but in saying that, I don't know any of the rates that you should be running. Also comes down to driving style.

I recommend you go get the same semis on the front of the car. I wouldn't track a car on 2 different tyres just pay a bit more and get the fronts done too.

thats just my 0.5 a cent.
    good luck

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    No need to machine your rotors. But give your pads about 50-100km of city driving to run in.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    with semis on the rear and crappy tyres on the front u might experience some understeer at the first right hand corner, fish hook and the last corner.

When i went i had my fronts on stiffest and rear on softest. Maybe if you play around with the settings abit it might help reduce the understeer problem

Member Array
    Car:
    00 S2000 09 Audi S3
    S2000 with an understeer problem? What tyres where you running Fly? Was this with the gramlights?

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 323I, 2003 320ci
    some ppl will say use thinner oil for better performance

and some will say use thicker oil for more protection

upto u

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    best bet would be to head over to s2ki.com in the Australian forum, post a thread reading something like "(insert track name here) track day, what setup do u use" they'll be able to tell u all u need to know.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari
    S2000 with an understeer problem? What tyres where you running Fly? Was this with the gramlights?
    i was running RE55S for the rears and s02's for the fronts. Using my standard wheels. the understeer could also be due to the fat front sway bar i had and my poor coilover setup. I didnt know how to adjust them dampers properly for the conditions. Who would have though aye...understeer in the s2k

yeh its for wakefield

i got front and rear ferodo dsc2500's, ill try clock up as many kms as possible to wear them in.

im planning to soften the front and harden the back abit more... im hoping it'll help me with the understeer.

should i be worrying about diff/gearbox with the semi-slicks? only reason i ask this is because i blew my diff with good tyres on my wrx, while it was rear wheel drive, and blew my diff. dont want the same sh*t happen again.

and what kinda tyre pressure should i be running with the semi-slicks, is it wise to run lower psi on the fronts for better traction on the front street tyres?
    Last edited by BRU51N; 17-06-2006 at 01:29 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by BRU51N
    yeh its for wakefield

i got front and rear ferodo dsc2500's, ill try clock up as many kms as possible to wear them in.

im planning to soften the front and harden the back abit more... im hoping it'll help me with the understeer.

should i be worrying about diff/gearbox with the semi-slicks? only reason i ask this is because i blew my diff with good tyres on my wrx, while it was rear wheel drive, and blew my diff. dont want the same sh*t happen again.

and what kinda tyre pressure should i be running with the semi-slicks, is it wise to run lower psi on the fronts for better traction on the front street tyres?
    mate ur not gonna start comparing ur rexxy gearbox to a S2K one are u now??

u should set the car front and back the same. Then drive a few laps to learn wat is needed. Obviously if u understeer then either loosen up the front or increase the dampening on the back.. depends wat kind of driver u are and wat slicks u have... u should be spending the first hour setting up your car so it is near perfect so that u can get the required lap times u want.. no point tryin all day to beat a PB when u have reached ur max due to a less efficient set up.. spend a bit of time setting it up...

many ppl make the mistake of jumping in and trying to get as many laps as possible coz u feel like u may wanna get ur moneys worth..

i would recommend u pump ur tyres a little more as they will leak while under extreme heat and pressure from the cornering.. depending on ur side wall if u release too much air then u will slide a bit more out of corners as the sidewall is not as firm.. to reduce heat in the tyres i suggest u chip in with sum frens and get a bottle of nitrogen from BOC and use that in ur tyres.. its a inert gas so it doesnt heap up anywhere near as much as compressed air... u will get more laps out of the tyres and they wun be as hot...

and i guess at the end of the day i always say "just have fun"..

take care.. hope u have a good track day mate

Jason
    TODA Racing Australia

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by blusir2
    its a inert gas so it doesnt heap up anywhere near as much as compressed air... u will get more laps out of the tyres and they wun be as hot...
    Boyle might disagree with you.

The reason nitrogen is used is that it doesn't hold moisture. The water content in air results in greater expansion in hot conditions so nitrogen is used for it's predictability.

If you would be happy with a filler gas that is 80% nitrogen drop me a line and I'll sell you some cheap.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by AusS2000
    Boyle might disagree with you.

The reason nitrogen is used is that it doesn't hold moisture. The water content in air results in greater expansion in hot conditions so nitrogen is used for it's predictability.

If you would be happy with a filler gas that is 80% nitrogen drop me a line and I'll sell you some cheap.
    sorry dude im not a scientist... i thought my explanation was stating the same results as urs...

i guess my explanation wasnt nerdy enough... hahaha..

anywayz.. try it mate...
    Last edited by blusir2; 28-06-2006 at 01:31 PM.