Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broke down on freeway last night! Help!!!!!!

I was goingdown the eastern freeway at about 110km/h the engine started tapping (only word i can think of that matches the sond) the tapping got louder and louder the car started to jolt and the oil and battery lights flashed.
    I pulled over turned the engine off but now it wont turn over! lights and even air con work but its like theres no sign of the engine there at all. Its a 1991 civic the old 1.6 carb. Any help would be fantastic!]
    Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Poo-goat 307
    could be a bad cel in the battery, providing enough power for the aircon but not enough to turnover.

RACV blokes said it could be the oil presure not getting around the engine...

timing belt
    no oil in engine
    not enough oil pressure

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Starter motor self destructed?

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2
    could it be the dizzy, happend to me, everything worked but car wouldnt just start, even with jumpleads

there was plenty of oil not sre about pressure the racv guy couldn't manually turn the engine either. kerim what was the damage to your wallet with a new dizzy? and excuse my noobness but what is a dizzy?

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    A dizzy is the Distributor on the side of the engine that sends/times electricity to the spark plugs, its the black round thing where the spark plug leeds go into.

Try a new dizzy cap first since they are usually the first to go, otherwise it may be the coil or igniter which are more expensive.

But if you heard tapping, then maybe the oil pump(?) or timing belt failed and caused the engine to starve of oil or the pistons to hit the valves and cause major damage, requiring an engine rebuild or possibly an engine replacement if the damage is too expensive to repair.

Lets hope thats not what happened
    .© ♪

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    i think your motor has seized

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    seems like there was no oil pressure in your motor.

Sorry but your motor is goneskiiii.....

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    no oil pressure usually mean your oil pump has gone seizing your engine. Minght need a rebuilt or replacement
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

i've only had the thing a bit more than a week! havent paid it off yet! i will find out from the mech on monday, i'll post te damage then. thanks for your help everyone.