Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    would mixing different brands of oil hurt the engine

eg... i need to top up and want to add litre of oil. engine currently has feo 10w30.

will topping up with different oil stuff up the engine?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by MRH-22A View Post
    would mixing different brands of oil hurt the engine

eg... i need to top up and want to add litre of oil. engine currently has feo 10w30.

will topping up with different oil stuff up the engine?
    Mixing oils would cause less damage than being low by 1 litre of engine oil. So just do it. You can mix mineral with minerals and semi synthetic. When it comes to full synthetic, it is more sensitive, but in small proportions, it's fine.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    is honda feo mineral, semi synthetic, or full synthetic?

and wat about mixing different viscosity? does it matter?

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000, RIP Prelude Vtir
    Honda oils are all mineral, wouldnt recomend changing from your normal mineral oils to fully synthetic. Esp. with the H22a motors.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by vtek View Post
    Honda oils are all mineral, wouldnt recomend changing from your normal mineral oils to fully synthetic. Esp. with the H22a motors.
    It's alright to change from mineral to full synthetic, AS LONG as the viscosity is the same. If the viscosity is thinner (like it is for most synthetics), then there could be problems. If you're already using FEO 10w-30, then you can change to a synthetic 10w-30 or 10w-40.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000, RIP Prelude Vtir
    Alright if you say so, but I would never use fully synthetic on my H22a. Everyone else can.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by vtek View Post
    Alright if you say so, but I would never use fully synthetic on my H22a. Everyone else can.
    wats the reason?

i had the mobile 1 before... i fink its fully synthetic. didnt seem to have any problems.

that may make sense

because my mechanic says mobil 1 is no good for my car. he said the old formulation like around a year ago is fine, but then they changed some properties of it or something. i don't know too many details, but yeah he says its no good for our cars, and he's had some bad experiences with it.

the reason vtek brought up could be part of the problem my mech was talkn about? dunnoz. so yeah im a bit hesitant to use it, even tho its a popular oil..

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000, RIP Prelude Vtir
    yeah you will have problems later on with oil consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by MRH-22A View Post
    wats the reason?

i had the mobile 1 before... i fink its fully synthetic. didnt seem to have any problems.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I don't quite like Mobil1 as well.... Even with gold Mobil1 10w-30, which has the same viscosity as FEO, the valvetrain will sound louder for some reason.... If you are talking about the silver bottled 5w-50 Mobil1, that is not the right viscosity if you are replacing FEO.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Type S
    Swapped over from mobile1 to elf full synth.. feels the same but the engine warms up quicker and oil being consumed less.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude, Civic, Firestorm
    go the motul. i think its the 800 series its fully sick, um, i mean fully synth 5w40 been using it for 100,000 never missed a beat. its $55 retail 5 litre which is perfect amount for oil change, but offer them $50, they should take it! Anyone recommend good oil filters? I use Ryco's they seem ok, they're the most expensive from bigw anyway...